• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Its the little things in life...

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
;D

Well, I began my first batch of mead this past weekend. I never knew how happy a little foam could make me! Everything seems to be doing exactly what it is supposed to! Go figure!

fantome

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2003
If your patience equals your enthusiasm, you will be enjoying one of those finer things in life - but not for a while yet.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
We started with a must with 1.104 SG. After sitting in the firmenter for a week, it is now 1.034! So, I guess it is working! The bubbles keep coming up the airlock, so we've only removed the lid the one time. So, another couple of weeks and we should be ready to rack into a carboy!

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
GntlKnght said:
so we've only removed the lid the one time. So, another couple of weeks and we should be ready to rack into a carboy!

I was going to ask if it's ok to open the bucket lid and then reseal without disturbing the process. This answers it then. Thanks!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
You are better off not opening it. every time you open your brewing container you expose your must to possible bacterial contamination. this is especially true in the early stages. if you absolutly must open it to do something, like take a hydrometer reading, by all means do so. but to open it just for the heck of it is not wise.

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Thanks for the tip...I'll leave mine sealed until I rack it. I can take a reading then.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Racked the first "traditional" batch of mead to a carboy! Looks like it is at about 14% alcohol. Tasted very dry with a yeast flavor too. But the very good news is it tasted NOTHING like vinegar!!! ;D

Tasted the Cyser too, which is only a week old and only at 7% alcohol. Wow! Is that tasty! Now I know why you say it may not make it to bottles! At this rate, it may not make it into a carboy! ;)

Having fun!
Loving life!
Ain't life grand!!!

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
GntlKnght said:
Tasted the Cyser too, which is only a week old and only at 7% alcohol. Wow! Is that tasty! Now I know why you say it may not make it to bottles! At this rate, it may not make it into a carboy! ;)
Hate to be an "I told ya so" but... no wait I don't hate that...

I Told ya so :)

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Man, it is the apples. They are always so very tasty. I just put my hard cider into 2 liters (just wanted to get it out of the primary so I can start another batch and don't have cash for real bottles). I swear I started with 5 gallons! So why did I only need 14L worth of storage? 3.7 gallons for those who don't know. And I actually needed less than that since One of the two liters wasn't quite full.

I am not a heavy drinker. And for the first four weeks I didn't allow myself to touch it at all. Now, 2-3 weeks later and I am down almost a gallon and a half!!! If this stuff was low on the alcohol content I could understand but it has to be 15-18% and 20oz is more than enough to get me drunk. How the heck did this happen? Actually I am pretty happy with the results even if I can't keep myself away from them. Now when I make something else I will have something to occupy me.

Oh man, make that down 2 gallons... I added a half gallon of Zeiglers with preservatives to stop fermentation (didn't work just slowed it down... guess the concentrate would have been better) a few days ago. So, I should have had 5.5 gallons but I had only about 3.5. Ouch! Well, my liver might hate me but my taste buds are rejoicing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns