PDA

View Full Version : Types of water

polarbearforge
10-11-2003, 08:43 AM
I've tried different kinds of water, distilled, tap, bottled, etc... and it seemed that the distilled water had a purer flavor. It wasn't the same recipe for each one, so I can't compare that way.

I spoke with a professional winemaker who swore by using distilled water. She had a degree in chemistry and that's how she chose to apply it. The wines she made were very good.

I've also spoken with others who insist that the nutrients found in tap/bottled water are needed for the mead to turn out correctly.

What do you think? What do you all use? Any preferences? Batches that turned out better/worse due to the water?

Jamie

JamesC
10-12-2003, 08:18 PM
I go with spring water. It just tastes more 'right' to me. The distilled water has sort of a dry taste IMO.

Vicky Rowe
10-13-2003, 09:29 AM
I've always used my tap water, which comes from my artesian well. Those Artesians make good water! :D

Seriously, I use my tap water, and my meads turn out pretty good.

Vicky

Severian
10-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Been using Minneapolis' Finest for several years, no complaints.

-s

Lagerman64
10-17-2003, 12:36 PM
My water is pretty hard, I use a 50/50 mix with distilled. This will make the mineral ion count similar to London (a little on the light side). The more distilled water added the closer to Pilsen it becomes. ;)

Dan McFeeley
10-19-2003, 03:51 PM
I've tried different kinds of water, distilled, tap, bottled, etc... and it seemed that the distilled water had a purer flavor. It wasn't the same recipe for each one, so I can't compare that way.

I've also spoken with others who insist that the nutrients found in tap/bottled water are needed for the mead to turn out correctly.

Acton & Duncan's 1965 publication _Making Mead_ noted that honey does not ferment as well using water that is too soft.
In those instances a stuck fermentation could easily result.
A pinch of Epsom salts cured the problem.

Generally speaking, a certain amount of mineral content in
the water is important for yeast health and growth. It also
helps with buffering.

chuckwm
10-20-2003, 01:29 AM
As Dan knows from many discussions on this subject, I believe that hard water contains minerals that yeasts need to ferment well. HOWEVER, my hard water tastes really good. You need to have water that tastes good to begin with to make good mead. If not, then i would opt for bottled "spring" water.

Chuck
beekeeper
meadmaker
and now, mead vinegar too!

fidgit1723
10-20-2003, 05:51 AM
I'm going to add my input in a very diplomatic manner and stress that I am not discounting other forms of water, I'm merely stating that bottled spring water has treated me well.

Cheers!

Lagerman64
10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
I had not considered the buffering attributes, since my water is ungodly hard, I think I will dispence with 50/50 and go for 75/25 (3 gallons tap to 1 gallon distilled) for my next batch. My water doesn't taste bad, I drink it all the time, just has an overabundance of minerals.

bottledwater
12-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Despite my username I use tap water exclusively.

ThistyViking
12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Umm I use my Wellwater out of my tap with no treatment, Its pretty good water, but the truth is I typically dilute my honey in a fruit juice of some kind and water plays a smaller part in most of my meads (err melomels and cysers).

frob23
12-20-2003, 11:33 PM
When it comes to almost any beverage the best advice I have always seen is, "use water that tastes good." Some people have tap water that taste awful. Some people have the tap water of the gods. Using mineral water should be fine. It should taste good but why not throw a gallon in the fridge and have a nice tall cool glass of it just to make sure. When it comes to distilled water, you know it won't add off tastes. But it won't add any other tastes at all. If that is what you want then no problem.

If you were really worried about the water not having enough minerals for the yeast you could add some yeast nutrient (that's what it is minerals right?) or something you know will have the minerals the water lacks.

So far I have not used water (except for the failed batch made with preservatives). I have been using fruit juices. I would probably use my filtered tap water but not the unfiltered. Without some filtration it taste like clorine and that can't be good.