PDA

View Full Version : MAximum SG of Must to start fermentation?

Jmattioli
11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Just a curiosity question? What has been your highest starting SG of Must used at which you had no problem starting fermentation and what yeast did you use? ???
All responses welcome.

yabb_unknown_usr
11-06-2003, 02:45 AM
I am still new at this but I just started a mead with a SG of 1.150. It took off like a rocket and has been bubbling for 4 days now. I used WYEAST Sweet Mead Yeast.. I am afraid now that my Mead is going to be toooooooo Sweeeeeeet.

Redleg
11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
I've had some meads that start out at a SG of 1.150 and ferment to about 1.010.

You really have to use a hearty yeast, and I feel that Wyeast mead yeasts are not up to the task. I use either Lavlin K1-V or EC-1118, pitched with a very large starter and a healthy dose of yeast nutrients. Use an aeration device prior to pitching and you should have no problem.

MeadMkr
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I normally start my melomels around 1.09 (4 gal water/8# honey) but have done as much as 10# (1.108SG). It depends on if I'm pitching on a yeast cake from a prior batch or with a 1 liter starter.

If I don't use a starter I normally pitch 2 packets of the same yeast in the 4 gallon starter. Once fermentation slows down I'll add more honey or fruit.

Trask