PDA

View Full Version : Wildflower Honey

Jmattioli
09-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Anyone have experience with mead and Wildflower as the sole honey ingredient? Tasting one that is now about a year old that I made from honey directly from the apiary. Finished at SG 1.000 Taste like Chaucer's Mead to me. Its a golden honey color and smooth but can't decide (describe) what the honey tastes like (maybe too complex for me). Don't think I will make it again. Used Cotes de Blancs yeast and it was a good slow steady fermentation. (Epernay II)
Any comments on Wildflower?
Joe

Talon
09-14-2004, 11:21 PM
I've a sweet and dry that I recently bottled. The dry has a rather strong aftertaste that's a bit harsh. The sweet is better and more drinkable as a heavier white wine.
What I mean by heavy is that the flavor sits low in your mouth and doesn't really rise into the aromatics of the mead.

I don't quite know how to describe the taste of these two meads... It seemed almost very nutrient/mineral strong... Like drinking hard water after the chlorine taste has left it? I can definately say that the honey characteristics came through from what I'd tasted before.

I do have to say though, Orangeblossom is definately my choice of honeys to make my sweet and dry meads from!

I couldn't tell you the specific gravities I had in any of the batches as I'd not owned a hydrometer at the time of pitching and didn't bother at the time of bottling.
In the dry versions I used Primier Cuvee and in the sweets I used Cotes de Blancs.

Talon.

MagickMead
09-15-2004, 03:53 AM
Wildflower honey can be very different from one area too the next. It all depends on what flowers grow in that area for the bees to work. Your wildfolwer honey may be very different from mine. I like what I get around here.

WikdWaze
09-15-2004, 04:08 AM
The only wildflower honey I've ever sampled was darker than the buckwheat I just got. It was overpoweringly sweet and actually "burned" my tongue when I ate it. I had a 1# jar I bought to use on my oatmeal, I never even finished a quarter of it before throwing it out as unpalatable.

It's like MagickMead said, though, the wildflowes in your area will produce a much different honey than the ones in my area. You also have to consider consistency, as the beekeeper moves the hives around the bees are exposed to different flowers. There'd be no way to know from one batch to the next how the honey would taste.

Oskaar
09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey Joe,

Just a thought but who is your Wildflower honey supplier? If they are in your state maybe the hives are close to tobacco crops?? Could that be a factor?

I've used wildflower before but only in a blend. The owner of a brewshop I used to go to before it closed down told me that wildflower is a good blending honey but not on his top five list as a single varietal source for mead.

That being said I'd still like to get some of the California Golden Poppy Honey if it is ever available somewhere. I have my antennae up and looking for sources coming into the spring of next year.

Oskaar

Jmattioli
09-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Yes, Got it here locally from an apiary in KY where tobacco is big time. Could be a factor.
Joe