• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey - Sources, tips and tricks

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Being somewhat new to this forum I'd like to find out if anyone else in the Southern California area has a good honey source.

I have been using Trader Joe's Honey, but I would like to get something deeper in color, and richer with more complex flavors.

So, with that in mind I've contacted a honey dealer in Colton, CA called Miller's Honey. Has anyone had dealings with them before? Or, do you know of anyone closer to the Orange County, CA area?

Muchas Thankyas!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Oskaar said:
Being somewhat new to this forum I'd like to find out if anyone else in the Southern California area has a good honey source.

I have been using Trader Joe's Honey, but I would like to get something deeper in color, and richer with more complex flavors.

So, with that in mind I've contacted a honey dealer in Colton, CA called Miller's Honey. Has anyone had dealings with them before? Or, do you know of anyone closer to the Orange County, CA area?

Try the honey locator, at http://www.honeylocator.com/
and you should be able to find a number of sources for
Southern California.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Thank you for the response. I have indeed used the honey locator and am in contact with one of the vendors I found on the site. Or at least I'm still waiting for this one to call me after I left a message.

I am looking for people who may have firsthand experience with one or more of the vendors in So Cal and can provide information on the quality of service, product and overall experience with the vendor.

Thanks so much for your response! 8)

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Next time you are in the Northern California area near Vallejo (where Marine World is located) I have a beekeeper friend who will sell you some dark, California wildflower honey for real cheap. He says he usually doesn't have enough people to give it away to but he hasn't met many meadmakers. ;D

Actually he tries to give it to me for free but I pay him anyway. He is a real nice guy. Good honey too. ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Groovadelic Dude! (Can't tell I'm from SoCal can you? :eek:)

This Miller's Honey distributes a brand called Superior Honey which I see in the Markets around here all over, so I know they're large. Since they have not yet returned my call, I will call them again and put my hob-nailed boot to their proverbial butts.

What a co-inky-dink that you have a friend in Vallejo, I know some people there two. I don't travel to that area if I can help it (it's gone downhill over the past couple of decades) but if future sojourns take me in that direction I'll make it a point to contact you via this board and get the contact information for your friend.

Thanks for the response!

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns