PDA

View Full Version : What are your views on Clover Honey?

Rurouni85Samurai
02-11-2004, 03:49 AM
I found some Clover Honey at a large warehouse store (BJ's) which is like Sams Clubs larger rival (Stores is much bigger).

Would I be better off looking for wild flower or orange blosom to start my first batch or would Clover honey due just fine?

JoeM
02-11-2004, 04:13 AM
i've made wonderful meads with clover honey from costco which is a warehouse store just like BJ's...i wouldnt be surprised if it was the same honey.

ThistyViking
02-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Clover should be fine for a first batch, especially if you go a cyser route. This isn't to say that there aren't Varietal tastes, there are.

Rurouni85Samurai
02-11-2004, 06:23 AM
I know some honeys can have an added taste such as orange blossom, but what does Clover Taste like? I'm a bit curious but whats the flower look like that clover comes from?

I don't want to make a cyser just yet, I'm planning a straight up mead for my first batch. Maybe get a few more Glass carboys and make one with spices and make some wine for after I get married. (Whenver that will be)

All those years of puzzle buildings has given me some good tolerance for having to wait for good stuff.

Hidalgo
02-11-2004, 08:03 AM
I know some honeys can have an added taste such as orange blossom, but what does Clover Taste like? I'm a bit curious but whats the flower look like that clover comes from?

http://www.frogsonice.com/photos/flowers3/bee-clover.jpg

This is a clover flower....at least where I'm from (U.S. Northwest)...I'm sure there are different varieties in other parts of the world...

Rurouni85Samurai
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info.

dogglebe
05-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I might get slammed for this, but clover and wildflower are fairly generic honeys. This is not to say that you can't make a good mead with them, though I wouldn't make a traditional one from them. Maybe you can add a little grated ginger to the batch, to give it some character.

Phil

Oskaar
05-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Slammed! Nah! LOL

Whazzzup Phil?? Hope all is good in NYC. In CA we get some very interesting WildFlower honeys. For instance our early spring WildFlower honey where I live tends to be Buckwheat and Sumac which is a nice dark, full of character honey and mixes pretty well with black fruit melomels and such.

We're in Alfalfa right now which is (in California) another dark honey. I've seen on the Honey Locator that the alfalfa is light, but ours is dark. I just hooked into some Almond honey as well. Whoo whoo, can anyone say Amaretto Mead!

Cheers,

Oskaar