• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Searching for a specific flavor

Barrel Char Wood Products

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Hi all,

I've been asking anyone who'll listen (and tolerate my crazy ideas for meads), so I figured this place might be better than most.

Is there anything I can add to a mead to give it a rum-like flavor (other than rum itself)? I'm considering either turbinado sugar or possibly a good quality molases.

I just need enough to impart a slight flavor, I'm not looking for it to be the dominant flavor in the mead.

Thanks!
John

V

Vicky Rowe

Hi John,

I've used molasses to give a 'rum' like flavor. You might also want to check at your brew shop for flavorings. Mine has small bottles of lots of flavors, including rum. I've also seen 'rum' flavoring at some grocery stores.....

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Thanks Vicky!

I'm not horribly opposed to even using actual rum (I'll just need to adjust for the alc %), but I think I'm going give the turbinado/molases route a shot. I think that will hopefully provide the flavor I'm looking for.

Hopefully this will work, and I can add a mai tai mead to my oddball recipe collection. After all, I managed to come up with a margarita mead!

Thanks again!
John

V

Vicky Rowe

Hey, if you have all these cool meads, you *gotta* send me the recipes for the site! Send 'em to gotmead@gotmead.com, so I can post them for the masses!

Vicky - envisioning a margarita mead

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
**you *gotta* send me the recipes for the site**

I'll be glad to. I'll try to dig out the recipe for the margarita mead when I get home. The mai tai is still a work in process though - no formal recipe yet.

John

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I believe that adding distilled spirits to a mead is considered distilling and, thus, illegal.

Phil

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Actually, adding it to mead is just 'fortifying'. As long as I'm not firing up a still and making my own rum to add (It would be a nice, legal bottle of tax paid rum) it won't cause any issues.

If it were being made to sell as a port-style wine for sale to the public, I'm sure there probably would be additional tax ramifications.

John

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I've heard of using a neutral alcohol, like vodka, to extract flavor from spices and herbs to add to meads. Have not tried it myself, I usually brew a tea and add it to the primary fermenter.

Has anyone tried maple syrup in a mead? How did it turn out?

Tupelo Honey, how's that in a mead? 8)

T

The_Ferminator

dogglebe said:
I believe that adding distilled spirits to a mead is considered distilling and, thus, illegal.

Phil

Why do you believe that? do you have any links?

MeadMkr

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2003
www.oxbowmanor.com
John,

If you're looking for that type of flavor why not just make a liquor using grain or a neutral vodka with the rum flavor.

You might also want to check out the Polish Honey Vodkas (krupnik?) as they can be very tasty as well...

but like mead they can pack a whallop if you don't pay attention to how many you drink or how fast :(

Trask

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Yeah, it's looking like I may just end up making a 'fortified' mead, and using some good dark rum for the flavor I'm looking for (Rum for a rum flavor, who'd have thought it!).

I guess I'm just keen on being able to claim that all of the ingedients were fermented.

I still haven't gotten around to mixing it up, so I still have time to try out some other ideas. I hope to get some meads mixed up over the Holidays (That and some beer made, too).

Thanks!
John

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns