PDA

View Full Version : Medicinal Taste

yabb_unknown_usr
08-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi!

I have just racked my first mead after about 5 months in the secondary. It has a pronounced medicinal smell & taste - its not undrinkable but it is quite strong. As this is my first mead I have nothing to compare this to - is this normal at this stage?

FYI the recipe I used for 5 gallons was:

# 12 lbs honey
# Zest of 5 lemons
# 5 tablespoons strong brewed tea
# Handful of chopped organic raisins
# Champagne yeast

It was in the primary for about 5 weeks @ 19 - 21 degrees C & then in the secondaryfor about 5 months at the same temp.

Thanks,
Simon

ScottS
08-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Chances are it is just still young. Wait another 6 months and then taste it. Make another batch in the meantime. :)

Jmattioli
08-26-2004, 08:19 PM
It will be fine Simon. The combination of Lemon zest with the mead and tea, especially if it is dry, needs time to mello out. Lemon zest is strong stuff. Take ScottS's advice and it will be improved and if still not to your liking try another 6 months. You can always sweeten it up later if you decide it is too dry for your taste.
Joe

plaztikjezuz
10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
i had a medicine flavor in some of my beer brewing, it happened when i could not get one step to clean my kegs and i was using the BTF iodine. i talked with the science lab directory at my old college and he said that i was most likely using to much my solution of seeing a color change was to much BTF and he told me some other thing i did not know about the iodine. that at 25-50 ppm it would be none rinse but it has to dry. he also told me it coats/adhearsto solid surfaces, it does not sanitize completely until it is dry. i did not know either of these things and the knowlege made me switch back to bleach for a general sanitizer and made sure i have one step for my kegs. since then i have not had a problem.

*please note this is not flame bait for those who use and love BTF, it just did not work right for me, and i had been using bleach for years before with no problems. work uses both to sanitize fermenters. but they also use caustic acid to break up caked on turb. and they switch every two weeks to "keep the bugs on there toes" acording to the brewer.