PDA

View Full Version : Mead Hangovers

mavityre
09-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Thoughts anyone..................................

Oskaar
09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Hmmmm,

This is a tough one to call because I don't really see anything extra special about mead "hang-ons" from any other.

I do make it a point to stay hydrated by drinking some Gatorade at various points during a mead binge. I take a couple of multi-vitamins with a good amount of B-complex before I start, and take a couple of aspirin when I turn in. I also keep a good supply of Gatorade on hand for the morning too.

Steak hash and eggs is the breakfast of choice after an all nighter.

Oskaar

ScottS
09-12-2004, 10:28 PM
I gotta disagree, I have to be much more careful with mead than anything else, even liquor. Great stuff, horrible hangovers.

Oskaar
09-12-2004, 10:29 PM
To each their own. I guess I'm lucky ;D

Talon
09-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm with you, Oskaar. I don't get hangovers as long as I drink a glass or two of water before going to sleep. Unless it's champagne, vodka or taquila...

ScottS
09-12-2004, 11:42 PM
The problem might be that I tend to drink more mead in a sitting than anything else though. I mean, if the bottle is open, you can't let it go to waste, right? ;D

mavityre
09-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Yep.

My family has a saying.

"An open bottle is an empty bottle"

Oskaar
09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
In my family an empty bottle is a cry for help!

"Help . . . the bottle is empty . . . bring another one over here!"

LOL

Oskaar

Derf
09-14-2004, 08:10 AM
I was going to start a topic similar to this one under the heading, "Mead hangovers: mythical, or legendary?"

The only time I have ever had a hangover from mead was from a sample I took from mead that I had just added chemicals too. Here's what happened:

I was about to stabalize the mead with potasium sorbate and sweeten with some more honey, so I took out a bit to make room. That glass went to my girl-friend. Then I added the chemicals and realized I didn't have enough room for the honey, so I stired it up and took out another glass for myself. Added the honey, replaced the airlock, etc.. The next morning, my head hurt so bad that I was afraid to move. I didn't even want to sit up to drink a glass of water and poured most of it down my neck on to the bed instead. Better to be soaked than have to move.

Other than that, though, I have never had a hangover on mead.

David Baldwin
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
My first ever mead hangover is sitting quietly between my temples as I type. :-[

Last night I stole a bit from my carboy - enough for 2 16 ounce bottles. The mead is still green, but has stopped fermenting and is starting to drop clear. I thought it safe to sample. I took the bottles to a friend ahd we each sampled one. I never felt it hit me. It's very smooth and at about 14% alcohol.

I woke up about 1:30 with the first hangover I've had in many years.

:o

I don't know what caused it, (I suspect dehydration played some part) but it is a bit of first hand experience in reference to the question.

Oskaar
09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I think why I don't generally get "hangovers" is because I'm careful to stay hydrated and keep my electrolytes up by swilling something like powerade or gatorade periodically through the night. I also take two multivitamins and an aspirin when I start drinking and two aspirin and a glass of water before I knock off for the night.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some times in the morning when I was a lot slower than normal but not from mead as much as from wine or harder stuff. On those mornings some alka-seltzer, breakfast and a cuppa-joe do the trick. Oh yeah, and for some reason, hash browns! Don't ask why, but some good old pan fried hash browns really help me.

Oskaar