• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Campden tablet reaction?

Barrel Char Wood Products

monkeyb0y

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2004
Hi all
I'm a newbie getting ready to bottle my first still show mead and I've
come across an interesting reaction. In preparation for bottling I
added 6 Campden tablets (ground and dissolved in half a cup of water)
to 5 gallons of mead that has been bulk aging in a carboy since the
end of Feb. When I added it there was a reaction which caused a slow
"mead foam volcano" out of the top of the carboy. Now the mead is
bubbling away nicely, so much so that I had to add an airlock to avoid
blowing the cap off the carboy. So here's the question (or questions)-
Is this normal? Is the mead OK? (tastes OK so far, not like vinegar)
and should I be concerned?
Thanks
monkeyb0y

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Just curious as to why six tablets instead of five.

If the mead tastes good and looks good it's probably good.

I'd just let it sit until it stops foaming and stabilizes, check your gravity and see if you get more bubbling or fermentation. If not then bottle a couple (maybe under an airlock at first to prevent bottle bombs) if all signs point to safe for bottling, go for it.

Oskaar

monkeyb0y

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2004
Why six?
The instructions on the bottle said "1-2 tablets per gallon" and from my reading all the recommendations were roughly 1 per gallon for red wine and 2 per gallon for white but nothing specifically for mead so I aimed at the low end and added "one for good measure".

Have you ever had this type of reaction when adding campden tablets?

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
My sweet tupelo had this reaction. I found that it was due to an undiagnosed stuck fermentation. I added the campden tablets as described in the recipe, etc, and then when I thought it should have been cleared, it started re-fermenting again! So, I've left it to continue it's fermentation until the end and then I'll see how it clears.

On others, I'd not added campden tablets and found that I'd had a stuck fermentation due to serious ph imbalances. Once corrected, I had a virtual volcano of foam spewing all over my kitchen floor. Needless to say, She-who-must-be-obeyed was highly unamused and threatened to ground me and take away my calcium carbonate...

Talon.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Wow,

Never had any of this happen to me (knocks on wood, crosses fingers, tosses some salt over his shoulder) it doesn't sound too terrible other than the mess.

It might be kind of cool to watch though! ;)

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns