PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Brewing...

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Okay... fellas..... I've begun my first mead. :D.. a spiced Methelglyn...3 gallons. "Ye Olde Batt's Proven Recipe" I found on one of these Meade sites. It calls for Honey, water, cloves, cinnamon, allspice and black tea. I'm also using the bread yeast.... I've read the discussions on that topic... wanna try it anyways. So... I started my brew about 9:30 this am... mixed it all.... low heated it... cooled it... added the yeast... racked it into my carboy. Now it is 6 pm and I remembered I didn't add the black tea :o. The Air lock is bubbling away nicely so I brew my black tea and add it to the allready fermenting must.
My question.... have I harmed it by adding the tea late? I really don't think so.. but I want an opinion or two from youse experts.
What say you... I've tasted it before adding the yeast, after adding the yeast and it's a sweetish mead. Will it be ok.
Thanks....
Suzy Q, :-* Brewmistress

Oskaar
09-18-2004, 09:59 AM
It should be fine.

Congratulations on your first mead and welcome to the board. We need more ladies here! ;)

Oskaar

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Thank you Oskaar...... my little 3 gallons is chugging away... perking on a steady regular beat. It's not terrifically warm here this weekend and the week looks to be in the mid 70's and our home is kept on the coolish side. So I expect it to just keep plodding away.... should or could I wrap it ... will that keep it a bit warmer than the house since I suppose it's generating some warmth as it works away.
The recipe says to leave it in the Carboy for 7 to 21 days and then rack it.... I plan to rack it into another carboy in hopes of it clearing up before I put it in bottles. But then I have a good wait ahead of me at the moment.. so that will come down the road.
I think I'm gonna enjoy this little hobby... :)
:-*Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Oskaar
09-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Same here temperature-wise. I live in So Cal so the temp is finally cooling down a bit.

I keep my carboys wrapped in old towels to keep them dark and happy.

Oskaar

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Alrightythen... ;D
I'll wrap this baby up and let her brew.
Thanks...
:-*Suzy Q, Brewmistress