PDA

View Full Version : Cyser (what was I thinking?)

dogglebe
09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
I finally got some fresh apple cider and made a cyser using apple bloosom honey. Only after putting everything into the carboy did I realize that I didn't think of the sugars in the cider affecting the gravity (I got careless).

My recipe consists of 5 gallons of cider and 15 pounds of apple blossom honey. Starting gravity is 1.128. I'm using Lalvin D-47.

After realizing my mistake, I added a half gallon of water to the batch (I needed some room for the fermentation). I'm guessing this will lower my gravity to about 1.118.

I'm really pissed at myself....

Phil

Jmattioli
09-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Yes, This is that time of year. I also picked up 5 gallons of fresh apple cider from a local apple orchard.(Beats the store bought stuff) Started 3 gallons as a Cyser with 2 lbs of honey per gallon and K1V. I 'll drink a gallon and use the other for Hard apple cider. Sounds like yours will be just right now with D-47 for a little residual sweetness.
Joe

plaztikjezuz
10-07-2004, 02:06 AM
i dont think 15lbs is to much.
i made a cyser in Oct. 2002 with 12lbs of honey for 4 gal. of cider. this is the same ratio of honey to cider as yours. i used a different yeast i used the white labs dry english cider yeast (goes to around 10%) to ferment the cider i made a 13 gallon batch and then when i added the honey i pitched wyeast's cider yeast (14%). it has a very nice apple flavor and aroma after aging for 2 years but the honey does come right through, it has kept some of the sweetness, which i do think is nice. it's not over powering in the sweetness like i thought it would be. the D-47 goes up around 12-14% so you should be straight there. you could later pitch a champange yeast if you want it dryer or just add some more water. i did add a gallon of water to disolve the honey to get it in to the 6 gallon carboy.

it fermented for a good long time, it was also my first atempt at making mead, so did not add yeast engerizer or neutrient. i did add tannin and acids as i had made fruit wine a few times before. dont know if i got the acids "right", but i do know, the finished product is very good and always get a smile followed by a "you made this!", when served to guests.

plaztikjezuz
10-07-2004, 02:19 AM
wanted to add this.

i have only used the D-47 yeast once in mead. i made a 5/6th honey / 1/6th maple suryp mead this spring. it is done fermenting and is aging before bottling. i taste it every once in a while and it has a very almost bread like yeast aroma and taste. the aroma is very strong, and thankfully, the taste is not as bad. but i did read somewhere that this yeast needs to "mature".

(for those that are interested)
5# wildflower honey
1# amber maple suryp
1/15 oz grape tannin
1 1/2 tsp pectin
1/4 oz matlic acid
1/8 oz tarteric acid
2 tsp yeast neutrient
1/2 tsp yeast engerizer
D-47 yeast
in a 3 gallon carboy

next project is a 100% maple mead

Jmattioli
10-07-2004, 03:29 AM
I don't think there is such a thing. Has to have honey in to be considered a mead. I'd call it maple wine.
Joe