PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the deal with Montrachet?

JoeM
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I've heard everything from "it makes an amazing mead" to "it makes undrinkable swill"! Any of you have experience using it? What do you all think about the subject?

Talon
10-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I've not much experience...
I've only got one batch in secondary following a recipe given to me... It fermented really fast and the mead is already clear! Just to wait for it to degas. I've not tasted it at all, so I couldn't tell you what it's like...

Talon.

Jmattioli
10-08-2004, 11:23 AM
I noticed that Norkersword (Jeff) has some experience with this yeast and indicated that it has a lower top range than K1V or D47. HE SAID in his closet he was pushing the top limit temperature of the yeast and this may have produced his gasohol effect or the negative results.
http://gotmead.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=yeast;action=display;num=1093467409

That might explain why some have good results and others bad. Its actually the most popular red star wine yeast used. Its been around since 1963. Jeff says the limit was 80 but my research indicates it is the same as K1V (86F) But temperature still could have a bearing on that particular yeast as he points out or possibly it has just been so widely used that a lot of bad batches have been blamed on it.
Joe