PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Melomel

skeptic13
10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I am planning on making a medium sweet raspberry melomel and have a few questions. My main question is about tannin. It was recommended on this board to add 1/2 tsp per gallon. I looked at the B3 website at the tannin they sell and they recommend 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons of white wine. This is 10 times less than 1/2 tsp per gallon. I don't want to mess this up so is mead different than white wine in respect to tannin addition? Does the following recipe look ok? This is my plan so far.

Thanks!

RASPBERRY MELOMEL

Primary

15 Pounds Honey – Generic Clover
Juice of 1 Lemon
Raisins & Dates – Chopped (non-S=so2 from Trader Joe’s)
Grape Tannin (how much?)
4 Gallons Water
2 Packets Lavlin D-47 proofed as recommended

Secondary

2 49oz cans of Oregon Fruit Products Raspberry Puree

ScottS
10-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't add any acid or tannin in the primary. Wait until it is aged a bit in the secondary, and then add both to taste. It is easy to overdo them, and hard to take them out once they've been added. :)

Jmattioli
10-07-2004, 12:18 AM
There is already tannin in your raisins so it is not needed up front.
Joe

skeptic13
10-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks, would a 1/2 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup dates be a decent amount for a batch this size?

Jmattioli
10-07-2004, 03:23 AM
I looked at the B3 website at the tannin they sell and they recommend 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons of white wine. This is 10 times less than 1/2 tsp per gallon. I don't want to mess this up so is mead different than white wine in respect to tannin addition?
Skeptic 13,
The reason they don't add 1/2 t per gallon is because wine usally already has sufficient tannin from the seeds and skin. Mead has none. 1/2t per gallon is not excessive to add at the start if no other source is used. A lot of it will precipitate out anyway as it clears the mead and deposits itself in the lees. I always use at least 1/2t per gallon except where some other ingredients already supplies it and have never had excessive tannin in my mead. It is barely detectable at the finish if you add it at the start. Hope this helps answer your question.
Joe