PDA

View Full Version : Lalvin ICV D-47 yeast

Jmattioli
10-08-2004, 10:54 AM
I know some of you have used this yeast before but for those who haven't here is a little data:
"The ICV D-47 is a low-foaming quick fermenter that settles well, forming a compact lees at the end of fermentation. This strain tolerates fermentation temperatures ranging from 10 to 30C (50 to 86F) and enhances mouthfeel due to complex carbohydrates. Malolactic fermentation proceeds well in wine made with ICV D-47."

"This strain is recommended for making wines from white varieties such as Chardonnay and Ros. It is also an excellent choice for producing mead, however be sure to supplement with yeast nutrients, especially usable nitrogen."

Comments on taste characteristics would be appreciated. Notice the wide temperature range. This should be convenient for most users. I used this yeast for the first time on a one gallon 100% Buckwheat Mead and am impressed by its rapid starting characteristic just using rehydration in tepid water for 15 minutes. Poured in in Must and it was bubbling in 1 1/2 hours to the tune of 1 airlock bubble per sec. After another 5 hours it was up to one bubble per second through the airlock. I did use a little nutrients (1/4t Fermax) which I usually ignore with K1v but the specs said it was important with this yeast.
The other great point is that its alcohol tolerance is 12-14% which is lower than most others. This makes for a good drinkable range and the starting gravity can be varied to attain the desired residual sweetness without an alcohol burn or long aging requirements. I noticed after reviewing Ken's recipes that he used it in almost 50 % of the recipes he listed in his book. (5 out of 11) I think he likes it and for good reasons. I know Oskaar is now using this yeast. Maybe we can get a few more comments on experiences of others on this forum to round out our research.
Thanks, Joe

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-09-2004, 05:37 AM
It just dawns on me that if I wish to stay with a "no chemical" approach to mead, I will have to change to something like D-47 that will ferment to completion and die off. Then I don't have to add sulfites to prevent fermentation from restarting.

I could do the same with EC-1118 BUT it would take me another half gallon or so of honey per 5 gallon batch to give enough sugar for completion. And then I would have to worry about aging to smooth out the 16 or 18 percent ABV.

I too am interested in the results people are seeing with this yeast...

WikdWaze
10-09-2004, 08:18 AM
My batch will be up and running in just a few days. Given what I've read about this yeast, I'm pretty enthused.

Oskaar
10-09-2004, 11:43 PM
I've used D-47 in a couple of batches now and it is a great yeast for lower alcohol and sweeter meads.

My mead made with Orange Blossom Honey which is a sweet show mead stopped fermenting in two weeks. I pitched about 10 grams (two sachets) of D-47 per carboy.

The fermentation started within 8 hours and was vigorous for most of the two weeks until it trailed off on the last three or four days.

At racking time the sample I pulled off had a gravity of 1.044 and was sweet, but had some tartness to it presumably because of the citrus nature of the Orange Blossom Honey. Not sure how true that last statement was, but nonetheless the tartness is there and seems to be the same mouthfeel as the citrus type of tartness to me.

Racked a second time and the gravity was 1.038 the sample I took off is really deep for such a young show mead, especially a sweet one. It has a good broad mouthfeel, a nice pleasant fruity nose, it is a pale golden color and produces long legs when swirling. It coats the glass well and is consistant from the middle of the glass to the sides of the glass in color.

The tast is excellent for being so short in the aging vessels. There is a good honey characteristic at the back of the throat and on the roof of the mouth. The fruity/citrusy characters are present at the sides of the tounge and cheeks, and under the tongue. There is no tannic, or astringent burn at the tip of the tongue and front of the mouth. It washes along with a good consistant flavor, and gives hints of others along the way. Some apple down the middle, very slight orange along the roof of the mouth but is hard to identify, a good wash of fruit and honey down the middle as well.

The D-47 seems to be an excellent yeast for the lower alcohol sweet meads, or medium sweet meads. It leaves the varietal characteristics of the honey in tact, but does not in my opinion allow them to be overpowering in the product. It ferments fast and completely from what I can tell. It starts very quickly and is vigorous throughout the fermentation.

I'm very happy with this yeast so far, and will be using it in my cysers going forward. I am also planning on substituting this yeast for the K1-V1116 in my next batch of Joe's Three Week No Age Straight Mead.

To me the D-47 brings the following to the table.

1. Fast start
2. Vigorous fermentation
3. It is a competitive protien producing Yeast in case there's wild yeast in your batch before you pitch the D-47
3. Enhanced varietal flavor and character
4. Wide temperature range
5. Ferments pretty completely

So those of you who are tinkerers, give it a try, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Take a chance, Custer did!

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-10-2004, 01:16 AM
I want to pose a question that sort of goes with the D-47 issue, since I would be changing yeasts to get to an ABV tolerance low enough to ferment to completion without having to have something like 4 lbs. of honey per gallon.

The question is, if I make a must with a sufficient SG to reach something like 16 or 18 percent ABV, pitch D-47 into it, allow it to ferment until it stops, then rack it and allow it to age in bulk for 6 months to a year, will the yeast be completely dead when I rack and bottle?

I ask because I'd like to totally get away from sulfites/sulfates. Is this a viable way to do that?

Jmattioli
10-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Yep Pewter, It sure will. As an extra precaution, towards the end of fermentation, you might want to finish up at a few degrees warmer temperature to kill off the last ones. Sometimes, at very cool temperatures some just go to sleep and then when the temperature warms up, they come back to life. Finishing at a higher temperature helps to avoid this possibility.
Joe

P.S. Great Post above Oskaar. Thats the kind of info, I was looking for. Comments by other users of D47 would be appreciated.

kace069
10-10-2004, 05:32 AM
I love d47 for my meads and i use it for braggot also.

Jmattioli
10-10-2004, 06:00 AM
I love d47 for my meads and i use it for braggot also.
Exactly what do you like about it Kace? Ever had any problems with it? Stuck or slow fermentations etc..?? Noticeable differences compared with others you have tried? Any detailed info would be appreciated.
Joe

kace069
10-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Well. I only have experince with 3 or 4 other yeast strains other then D47. Most of my meads have been based around gaining consistency rather then trying everything at once. Besides it being expensive I want to be sure i am going to want to drink what i made. So anyways back to the yeast.

Flocculation is terrific with this strain. I can usually pick a carboy up and move it upstairs without disturbing the lees to much at all. And it settles out very quickly.

I have had problems with slow and stuck fermentations in the past. But with an energizer along with my nutrient i haven't had any problems since. It does ferment very fast if it is fed right. But i do usually have a long lag time about 12-15 hours in extreme case's.

I usually get it to ferment out to about 12% abv and get a residual sweetness. For my braggots it carbonates it well and gets a nice head. But count on an extra week for your bottles to fully condition.

I am not a fan of traditonal wine. And have found some of ther other strains i have used gives me to much of a wine taste to it and coming out rather dry.

One more thing about this yeast is the wide temprature rage it has. I have had meads that i am sure were probably reaching temps as high as almost 80 degrees with no significant off flavors. Just a slower fermentation and/or becoming stuck.

Jmattioli
10-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks Kace,
That input was very useful to me. That was more of what I was looking for. (good or bad makes no difference) Just want your perceptions. Anymore users out there??
Joe

ScottS
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
I use D47 a lot. Basically, for everything except melomels. It's my workhorse. ;D

It does a very nice job of starting quickly, fermenting to exhaustion without stopping, preserving honey characteristics, and most importantly to me, being extremely repeatable/reliable in terms of how much it will ferment out. I never sweeten or stabilize anything. I pick a FG, calculate the necessary OG, pitch the yeast and hit the FG within 0.003 or less every time.

WikdWaze
10-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm very happy with this yeast. It was easy to rehydrate and it started very well. There might be nutrient issues with a show mead, but it handled a braggot very nicely. It also seems to flocculate well.