• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Grolsch bottles

Barrel Char Wood Products

PanzerBjorn

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Does anyone know if grolsch style bottles are OK to use for long term storage? Do they create an adequate seal so that I wouldn't have to drink everything in a hurry?

plaztikjezuz

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 7, 2004
plaztikjezuz.com
how long is long term?

i use them for a cyser once, two years and they are doing fine.

but i did go through them and replace the seals.
i also suggest you make sure none of the palstic corks have scratches.

most homebrew supply stores have them

ps. this summer i was given a bottle of mead that was capped in a beer bottle and it was sealed in 1997 and was doing fine.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I've been using grolsch bottles for years with excellent results. As was mentioned i sometimes replace the rubber gaskets if they look old or worn. You may want to be carful if you use them for high pressure sparkling meads as i have had one or two break in rare instances, but those are few and far between.

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
Acctually, I've had trouble with both grolsh bottles and E-Z-cap bottles from the lhbs. Never had an infected or oxidized mead, but about 5% of my beer in such bottles ends up flat. And believe it or not, the original grolsh gaskets seem to make a better seal than the replacement E-Z cap ones, though I have had trouble with both. I don't know what the problem is because no one else has reported any trouble. They guys at the store use them almost exclusively.

Never had any trouble with bottle bombs in grolsh bottles. I forgot one in the freezer once and rather than break, the ice simply blew the gasket out of the way.

PanzerBjorn

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Ah, well I don't plan to make anything carbonated soon but that's good to know as I will probably try it eventually. I was mainly concerned with bottling it, leaving it for a year or three and have it not go bad. If the seals stay good for a single extended use, that's all I am worried about now. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any experiences?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I recently found a few grolsch bottles of mead that i had "lost" for 4 years. not only did the mead not go bad, it was spectacular.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a friend who gave me his grolsch bottles and for that matter his entire meadmaking kit. His recipe called for honey, water, and bread yeast. It only stayed in the primary fermenter for about 5 days and then directly to the bottle.

He had two bottle bombs and gave up.

I plan to use them for my still meads. If I dare a sparkling, I'll use champagne bottles.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
David,

Just make sure to stabilize BEFORE you bottle, that's the best way to avoid bottle bombs. Even if you're making a still mead, you still need to stabilize before you bottle.

Oskaar

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I'm not saying they cant be used for sparkling meads...i use them for sparkling meads and beers all the time. The only times i ever had them break was when either on purpose or by accident i had a much higher corbonation level than normal. At that point its undetermined if even champagne bottles would be the solution. 5 days is way too early for anything to be bottled. You are sure to get bottle bombs that way no matter what recipe or bottles you are using. I agree with oskaar the stabilizing will ensure that your mead does not carbonate however, i certainly dont think it is necessary (assumiung you can be patient). I make many batches of still mead without stabilization without any problem, However, i wouldnt bottle such a mead before it was at least 8 months old.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Oscaar,

I understand that to be good advice. Since my wife is sensitive to sulphites, I'll probably just wait until July to bottle.

That's the only way I figure I can actually have any of it to drink a year from now...

JoeM

I don't know where he got that recipe, but I did over a year of research before I actually took the plunge. I couldn't believe that it could be so easy and so much fun... :D

I believe that he was going for a low ABV drink - not unlike the old home made rootbeer of yesteryear. He actually had ten bottles survive to drink. I don't know how good it was, but obviously not good enough for him to put up with the bottle bombs. That was ultimately good for me. I love free brewing equipment! ;D

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I have used Grolsch bottles as well. From my local HBS I can get 12 .5L swing-top bottles (Grolsch style) for $20. I can (at Sam's Club) buy 12 bottles of Grolsch for $20. It's like getting the beer for free!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns