PDA

View Full Version : Ginger Mead Advice Wanted

ConfuseBee
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Hello All,

I've been lurking awhile and need to ask a question or two about a recipe I found(?).

I'm considering the following:
15 lbs clover honey (from Costco)
1 cup ginger root grated
1/2 cup ginseng grated
3/4 t yeast energizer
yeast LV D-47 or ?-1118
One or two lemons cut, juiced w/peel
water to 5 gal.

Generally, My taste in wine has migrated from slightly sweet to off-dry lately. But not to the very dry stage.

What ideas, modifications, opinions can you guys offer to this recipe?

TIA

Mac McCaskie

Talon
10-21-2004, 06:16 PM
The D-47 will yield close to a 14% alcohol where the K1V-1118 will give you closer to 16-18%. So, I'd start with the D-47 and let it run it's course to see where it ends. If it gets to a point that you actually like the taste, then leave it. Otherwise, re-pitch with the 1118 as it will consume more of the residual sugar. Use a starter with the 1118 if you're re-pitching it.

Now, also watch your SG readings. Joe or Oskar will be able to give you better direction on that as I'm still a bit of a newbie on the specific gravity readings myself.

Jmattioli
10-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Good advice Talon. I'd also go with the D47 and see where it turns out. EC-1118 will definitly be too dry with that recipe to start.
Joe
Joe

JoeM
10-21-2004, 10:55 PM
I have done exactly as talon has suggested as far as using multiple yeast strains to attain the desired product and have gotten very good results...so i agree that you should start with the D-47. Personally i think that is ALOT of ginger root and i would suggest not starting with nearly that much as you can always add more but you cannot take it out. I've ran into trouble with metheglins where the spices quickly became overpowering. And i'm just curious as to what type of effect you hope to get from the ginseng, my limited experience with it is that it can be very bitter and quite unpleasant tasting...just one mans opinion.

ConfuseBee
10-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks all for the advice. Starting with D-47 with an option to switch to 1118 is a good idea.

As for the quantity of Ginger, it was from a recipe I ran into somewhere and can't recall it perfictly. I liked the way they described it with the genseng rootyness mellowing out the ginger spicyness. Going with less ginger is a good idea and I'll try that.

Anyone else worked with ginger? what were the results?

Thanks again

-mac