PDA

View Full Version : K1V1116 Foaming Characteristics.

David Baldwin
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
As I undrstand it, this yeast strain is supposed to be low foaming.

That was my experience with my first batch of sweet traditional mead as it was starting.

My current batch of pyment has a huge head of foam on it. I'm not really worried about it - I have plenty of head space in the primary to deal with it, but it's just piqued my curiosity as to why the significant difference in reaction.

Any thoughts from you more seasoned meadmakers among us?

Jmattioli
10-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Using grapes or fruit or juice of course adds additional nutrients for a more aggressive fermentation. That is probably why you noticed increased foaming over straight meads. Also sometimes much of the foaming is due to makeup of juice rather than just yeast foaming.
Joe

David Baldwin
10-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Ah, yes surface tension of the liquid would likely be very different.

Good food for thought.

Thanks Joe.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-21-2004, 10:03 PM
My cyser foamed up pretty well (several inches) and my metheglin has as much foam on the surface after two weeks as it did in the first couple of days (1/4th inch). I'd like to think that part of it has to do with what is being fermented as much as how aggressive the ferment actually is. Kinda like blowing bubbles with a straw in water with a little soap (just honey) or a lot of soap (honey and apple juice)...