PDA

View Full Version : Concentrate VS juice

mavityre
10-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Just asking.
When making cider I used juice and didn't really get what I wanted. Not really "applely ".
On the other hand, the grape mead recipe of Joe's using the concentrate is extremely good.
When you folks make cider or cyser, what do you use?
Thinking this cider I made might be a good candidate for the water distiller I was thinking about buying ::)

Edited 10/22/04 - Since I am using the original juice containers with the screw on tops, I added a little bit o' Splenda. Seemed to perk it right up and after 3 glasses of it to figure it out, realized it's got lot's of alca me hual. ;D

JoeM
10-22-2004, 04:27 AM
Typically i used juice, but you are correct that cider has a tendecy to lose its apple character, especially when fermented to (or near) dryness. Thirsty Viking has suggested to many to use sorbate (to prevent refermentation) and then apple juice concentrate to sweeten and reintroduce the appleyness. I actually have yet to try this myself but it sounds like an excellent idea and i do plan to give it a whirl in the very near future.

Jmattioli
10-22-2004, 09:21 AM
I have tried Thirsty Vikings advice of stabilizing and using AJC to sweeten. Works well. But I found it even better to buy the very best apple cider I can get and stop it at the SG I want and then stabilize. In my opinion, Somehow the residual sugar that is left after fermentation seems to be superior in flavor than the raw Apple juice concenstrate for sweetening and flavor.
Joe

ScottS
10-24-2004, 06:33 PM
If you are blowing off all of the apple flavor, you are using the wrong yeast. Try White Labs English Cider yeast. Goes nearly dry and still is pleasantly appley.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Scott,

Have you got a link for the White Labs stuff? I am getting ready to start a second batch of cyser while apple juice is still in season. I need to know ABV tolerance, temp range, and nutrient requirements....

Thanks,
Pewter

lbaker
10-24-2004, 10:56 PM
here's the link...

http://www.whitelabs.com/ratings.asp?id=WLP775

Lyle

ScottS
10-24-2004, 11:31 PM
No need for detailed info if you are making a traditional cider. Put cider in fermenter, add yeast, ferment at room temps. Easy. ;D