PDA

View Full Version : pale or colourless honeys

Fortuna_Wolf
10-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Are there any honeys which will yield a very pale or colourless mead?

ScottS
10-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Try macademia nut honey. I had a mead in Hawaii made from that, that was nearly clear.

Talon
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Clover is usually a pretty pale honey and will yield a very pale, almost clear white wine type of mead...

David Baldwin
11-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I've never tried it myself, but I've been told that fireweed honey is one of the palest in color. Of course having it shipped from Alaska (my source) is expensive.

Jmattioli
11-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Are there any honeys which will yield a very pale or colourless mead?
The lightest colored honey include:
Mint, Clover crimson, Vetch, Black Locust, Clover Alsike, Basswood, Clover Sweet, Fireweed, Horsemint, Marigold, Orange, Sage, and Thistle Star. I've started with the lightest and gone to Medium light or 1 to 4 on a scale of 1 to 12.
Buckwheat is a 10.

Joe

Fortuna_Wolf
11-01-2004, 08:04 AM
I'd like a honey which will still have a nice flavor, but won't impart any colour so that the metheglin can (hopefully) pick up some of the greens and blues of the vegetation I'm going to put into it.

I heard that fireweed was one of the lightest too, why's it so far down on your scale?

Thanks joe,

Jmattioli
11-01-2004, 08:53 AM
I'd like a honey which will still have a nice flavor, but won't impart any colour so that the metheglin can (hopefully) pick up some of the greens and blues of the vegetation I'm going to put into it.

I heard that fireweed was one of the lightest too, why's it so far down on your scale?

Thanks joe,
Firewood is a 4. All those listed are light honey. If I went to 12 I would have to list another 30 honeys so it is not so far down on the scale. Firewood is light and will probably be okay for your purpose but does not express a dramatic nose or flavor according to Ken Schramm. It is just not the lightest. Mint honey is a 1 and the lightest of the bunch.
If you get an opportunity, check out Chapter 7 of Ken Schramm's book, "the Compleat MeadMaker" which is deidicated to all about honey.
Joe

Rurouni85Samurai
12-23-2004, 06:14 AM
What type of honey would score a 12? I'm itching to try it for some reason.

Oskaar
12-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Avocado rates a 12, I think that buckwheat (Eastern) is close to that as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar