DATE, TIME AND WEATHER:
Date: 2004/11/09
Starting: 3:00 PM
Finish: 3:30 PM
Current temp 68 degrees F.
Barometer: 30.13 in and steady
Humidity: 58%
Respiratory index: 9 (good)
Pollen Count: Low (Tree, Grass, Ragweed)

YEASTS:
Following yeasts rehydrated as per manufacturer's instructions @ 1 sachet (5g) each in 50 ml H2O @ 104 degrees F:

71B-1122
RC-212
ICV-D47
Pasteur Red
Montrachet

MUST MIXTURE
16 lbs Medium Colored Clover Honey
H2O to 5 Gallons (Anaheim, CA tap water)
2 tsp Nutrient
2 tsp Energizer

OG: 1.120

Oskaar

Oskaar
11-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Since I have the opportunity to watch five different yeasts in the same must I thought it would be a good idea to note any differences.

None of the yeasts appear to be generating too much foam (krausen) at this point. Initially I was concerned about the amount of headspace I left in each bottle (I noticed Scott had the same concern).

The yeasts are all bubbling away pretty well. In order of most activity to least activity they are:

RC-212
Pasteur Red
D-47
Montrachet
71B-1122

The difference from the most active yeast to the least active yeast is very small, they're all bubbling at a rate of about 1 pop per second.

There is a definate smell of fermentation in the air when I walk over to check the bottles and to make any notes on the sheets for each of them.

More later,

Oskaar

Oskaar
11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Overnight temperatures have taken a nose dive, and we're supposed to get rain this morning here in So Cal. I have fires going in my office upstairs and my sitting room downstairs. The mead is covered with a nice quilt to minimize any temperature swings.

Make sure to tune in to CNN so you can watch So Cal Darwinisim at it's finest as those naturally selected to become extinct, float (for a short time at least) down the viaducts and barrancas leading to the ocean.

It's like whenever it rains people have to go and jump into the drainage canals so the swift water rescue teams can try out their newest equipment >:(

Sheesh, time for more hot chocolate!

Oskaar - Hoping IQ's in So Cal increase drastically for our next heavy rain.

Jmattioli
11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
That's Funny! LOL. I hope its not contagious. The IQ problem, that is. :D
Joe

Oskaar
11-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Well, so far we haven't lost any down the flood control canals . . . yet! Just wait until the real heavy stuff starts falling.

On to the yeasts!

Thanksgiving Day: 11/25/2004

The airlock activity has slowed significantly for each bottle. There is still some significant CO2 production at a smaller level. There are a lot of very small pinpoint sized bubbles rising to the surface of each of the test bottles. The 71B yeast however has a lot more of these than the other yeasts by an order of magnitude.

If I were to take a one inch square snapshot of each of the yeast test bottles it would be populated by about 25 - 35 bubbles. The 71B however would be over a hundred in the same space. The bubbles are also rising more rapidly in the 71B, and the RC-212 also exhibits more rapidly rising CO2 bubbles.

The ambient temperature is currently 64 degrees in the meadhouse and all yeasts are looking like they will finish by Friday of next week at this rate.

None of the bottles is showing any signs of stratification, or starting to look like they will drop clear any time soon.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Oskaar,

Don't know if you have taken SG readings recently. I am just wondering if your OG was high enough for all of the yeasts to ferment to completion or not. I should be starting my batches this week sometime and want to know if 1.120 was high enough.

Thanks,
Pewter

Oskaar
12-10-2004, 08:29 AM
I'll do an SG reading when I rack to secondary.

The beginning gravity of 1.120 should be plenty for all of them to attenuate fully. I took some photos today and tasted each one. They all have a definate flowery, citrusy, gassy flavor up front except for the 71B which is softer.

Mine are all beginning to clear. They are clearing in the following order from what I can see: 71B, D47, Montrachet, RC-212 and Pasteur Red.

Pewter, I'm surprised that you used both lemon and orange in your mead because I didn't see it pop up in the thread we used to plan the testing. You mentioned that you would be using raisins which everyone agreed would be fine, but what prompted the additions to your recipe?

Here's the links to the photos:

71B: http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/71B-1122.jpg

D-47: http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/D-47.jpg

Montrachet: http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/Montrachet.jpg

RC-212: http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/RC-212.jpg

Pasteur Red: http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/PasteurRed.jpg

Check em out!

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Oskaar,

The citric acid from the lemons and oranges as well as the chemicals from the raisins are my equivalent of a non-chemical (natural) yeast starter.

Oskaar
12-12-2004, 10:45 AM
I use raisins too, just never needed the lemons or oranges though so I wasn't sure but kinda thought that may be the case.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the pictures... Is there a place on net where I can store pictures for free for things like this? Now that I have a digital camera...

At first I was going to accuse you of reusing the same batch and just putting new labels on, everything looks a lot alike...

I need to more fully document what has happened to my batches. Maybe tonight... but I believe that I got more foam from the Montrachet and Pasteur Red than the others but within 24 hours all were bubbling at relatively the same rate. From the rings on your jugs I would say you had one of the others really foam on you. Maybe what we used for starters?

David Baldwin
12-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Pewter,

Check out www.mypicgallery.com it's a free web picture hosting site.

Oskaar
12-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Good find David!

I just use some of the surplus webspace I have accumulated in some websites that I host en-masse.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
12-13-2004, 03:12 AM
Hey Pewter,

I didn't use a starter, just rehydrated the yeast as per the manufacturer and pitched into the must once I decanted it into the jugs. I did get some foam on all of them. In declining order of foaminess they were 71B, D-47, Montrachet, Pasteur Red and RC-212.

I just used the DAP and energizer, no raisins in this batch. I'm starting another mead today using dried cherries and cranberries as nutrient base.

LOL, they're all different photos of different batches.

Oskaar