PDA

View Full Version : adding more yeast to slow fermentation

jeebeel
11-10-2004, 03:02 AM
10 days ago I prepared a 3.5 gallon batch, using 9 lbs. wildflower honey and 1 packet of Cote de Blanc yeast (rehydrated). OG 1.097
Very slow fermentation, and after 8 days the gravity dropped only to 1.060.
I've added some more yeast nutrient and am thinking of adding another packet of yeast. If so, would I just rehydrate the 2nd pack and dump it in or do I need to make a starter?
Thanks.

Oskaar
11-10-2004, 03:29 AM
How much energizer and nutrient did you use already, and what is the pH of your must?

Also, since it's cooler now you may want to check the temperature tolerance of your yeast and make sure it's in the proper range which is 64 degrees F to 86 degreees F according to LeSaffre's Cotes des Rhone information page:

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/wineyeast/cote.html

I'd check those before I added more yeast because more of the same yeast does not guarantee that the fermentation will speed up. If the fermentation is stuck, then you may need to add a different yeast like EC-1118 in order to get it going again, but then you will end up with a pretty high alcohol and very dry mead.

Cheers,

Oskaar

jeebeel
11-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Do not know the pH. I added about 4tsp. yeast nutrient.
Temperature range is okay.
I've read that is Cote de Blanc ferments slowly, so maybe I'll just wait it out.
Thanks for your input.