PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Question #2 - Using Sediment

CosmicCharlie
11-18-2004, 11:20 PM
When racking to a secondary right when you start another batch - does anyone use the sediment from the primary to make a starter? If so, how do you do it? Or is this not a good idea?

Jmattioli
11-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Charlie, I have done that in a pinch and it works. I usually just use the suspended yeast with some liquid must before it is done. They will be the healthiest. However you can take the yeast on the bottom when finished, swirl them in a glass cup of plain water and pour off the yeast that stay in suspension into the new must. Some even just pour the new must over the yeast on the bottom. There are other methods but it is not the best route. Yeast is cheap enough and you will more likily get healthy pure bred yeast from the packet then what you will get after they have reproduced a number of times under non laboratory conditions. Most dry yeasts packets also come prepackaged with some essential nutrients needed for a healthy start of reproduction.

Joe

ScottS
11-19-2004, 01:36 AM
I regularly rack out of my primary fermenters leaving the yeast cake behind, and then put a new must on top of the yeast cake. I haven't had any around long enough to tell you about flavor profiles, but I can say that fermentation takes off like a rocket and that I've had no infection or contamination issues. I do not use a yeast cake more than 5 times. Beer macrobreweries do something similar, and limit their reuse of yeast cakes to 3-7 times.