• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My third batch, Ancient Orange Cinnamon & Clov

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, with everyone making raves about it, and all the great pictures, I decided to throw together a batch of Joe's recipe over the weekend.

6 oranges, sliced into 1/8th's or smaller to get into carboy
1 1/2 gallons of Orange Blossom Honey
approx. 140 organic raisins
4 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
a pinch of nutmeg
bottled drinking water to 6 gallons
1 package Fleischmann's yeast

11/20/04 - late evening. Threw everything but the yeast together in 6.5 gallon carboy. Only novelty was that I heated some of the drinking water to help loosen up the honey and get most of it out of the containers. Some of it had crystalized a little bit... I pitched the yeast last...

Once everything was in, I hooked the stirrer to the end of my power drill and swirled it at full speed for about 2 minutes. Put trap on. Went to bed...

11/21/04 While the mixture really did not froth enough to merit the headroom left in the carboy, after 12 hours it was bubbling at a rate of several bubbles a second, forcing some of the water in the trap up into the upper chamber just beneath the cap. The bubbles pop in the upper chamber and the liquid flows back down into the trap so this does not appear to be a problem. The odor given off is ok but not tremendously fragrant. You can smell the oranges and a little of the spice...

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Re: My third batch, Ancient Orange Cinnamon &

11/24/04 - The batch is still bubbling at about 1 bubble a second and the little bit of frothing that was present on the surface has died down. I am tempted to dump in some water to fill the headspace and rinse the spices that have gathered on the surface back into the must.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA

But Joe.... playing in the must is half the fun! ::)

You know... you can be such a spoil sport...

*walks away from carboy without playing in it* ;)

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004

Pewter..... one way to keep from messing with your mead brew.... stir up another batch. :)
That's how I've brewed up 7 batches in less than 8 weeks. ;D (12 gals total)
Now with the holidays upon us... I'm busy doing other stuff and leaving it all alone.

OH... by the way... I notice in one of the strings of conversation about a limit to legally make mead.... and one of you guys was close to your limit with a 50 gal batch.... does that limit differ from state to state? And how can you find what your state limit is.
Not that I'm anywhere's close. Perhaps a goal in the future.... ;)

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron

Federal limit is 200 gallons per family with 2 adults, 100 with one.
Ref:
In the United States of America each adult citizen is permitted to brew 100 gallons of fermented beer and/or wine annually, according to federal law. Individuals are not permitted to sell this liquor without a proper license, and certain states and localities may further restrict production of fermented beverages.

Joe

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

There's that whole legal thing again! Sheesh, Uncle Sam can be a real killjoy sometimes.

Counting up carboys, corneys and bottles . . .

Oskaar - "Why uh, no . . no officer that's just flavored . . . vinegar for vinegar wrestling down at the 2005 Miss Vinegar competition in January . . .

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA

12/9/04 - The bubbling in the trap has finally started to slow. Down to about once every two to three seconds now. I can't get an SG without bothering the batch so I will wait. The miniature hydrometers I bought are great for batches where there is no surface debris but that doesn't apply to this batch...

The oranges in the carboy are beginning to show age. I sure hope they don't turn really awful colors before it's all done. I can just imagine green scummy mold like I find in the fruit drawer in May when someone left Christmas citrus fruit in it too long. No racking for two months, right Joe?

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron

No racking and no SG necessary. It will stop and clear by itself. You can take SG when bottling. Its good for the oranges to change color. Its leaching out the orange flavor. If you don't mess with it you'll have no infection. Recipe is foolproof. All the ingredients work together to kill nasties. Citric acid is a natural preservative from the oranges.
Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns