• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

metabisulphite, sorbate and yeasts oh my!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
Ok, so hello all. I'm new here and have a few questions.

Firstly, from what I have read on the subject, most sulphates can trigger and aggravate asthma. Which is something I’d rather not happen? So far I’ve used the bleach and rinse and rinse and rinse till there's no more bleach smell. Is this method reliable in other people's experience.... Is there a better, even possibly more natural option? And though I understand the principal of knowing when your yeast will give up will remove/reduce the need for potassium Sorbate (another thing I’d like to avoid) where can I find the parameters at which different yeasts give up their go. I looked on the LALVIN website but could find no specific references, only fluffy descriptions of what their yeasts are best for. The one I used in this, my first batch 5gal is two packs of lalvin ec-1118 (on the advice of local wine making shop) I’m looking for any helpful guides or opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Tsuchi said:
Ok, so hello all. I'm new here and have a few questions.

Firstly, from what I have read on the subject, most sulphates can trigger and aggravate asthma. Which is something I’d rather not happen? So far I’ve used the bleach and rinse and rinse and rinse till there's no more bleach smell. Is this method reliable in other people's experience.... Is there a better, even possibly more natural option? And though I understand the principal of knowing when your yeast will give up will remove/reduce the need for potassium Sorbate (another thing I’d like to avoid) where can I find the parameters at which different yeasts give up their go. I looked on the LALVIN website but could find no specific references, only fluffy descriptions of what their yeasts are best for. The one I used in this, my first batch 5gal is two packs of lalvin ec-1118 (on the advice of local wine making shop) I’m looking for any helpful guides or opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Bleach as a sanitizer seems to work well. I've used it once or twice with no problems, although generally I prefer a sanitizer/cleanser and idophor.

On telling when the yeasts have given up the ghost -- it's a combination of observation and use of the hydrometer. If the yeasties have been plugging away for a reasonable length of time, then quit, no activity in the airlock, no bubbles, etc., then let it sit for a little while longer. If the mead clears on its own, wait until you can read newsprint clearly through the other side of the bottle. Rack to another carboy and while you're doing this, draw off a sample and take a hydrometer reading. The reading will tell you whether the mead finished out, got stuck, or if there is still a good amount of residual sugar left in the mead.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I use bleach exclusively. It’s cheap, easy to obtain, is relatively non toxic, and works well.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Tsuchi,

Lalvin EC-1118 is a very agressive champagne yeast. One 5 gram packet is more than enough for a single 5 gallon carboy. If you upgrade to a 6 gallon carboy, then I'd suggest making a starter with one 5g packet of yeast.

Saves you buying more yeast than you need to. ;)

Talon.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
"If you upgrade to a 6 gallon carboy, then I'd suggest making a starter with one 5g packet of yeast. Talon"

Thank you, I thought the Helpfull shopkeeper seamed a bit over-kill when he handed me 3 pks so i only used two of the three. Should i worry over adding too much yeast to start? Oh and my mistake about the carboy size, it is 6 gal ... had to check my notes as now is not the time to try and read the bottem of the jug. :)

On another note...
I'm Perhaps Overly excited that the SG is down from 1.075 to 1.020 in under 20 days... it still tastes quite sweet from a bit taken from the wine thief... i have to assume that a little differance in SG means a lot in sweetness.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
No, you shouldn't worry about adding too much yeast. The little beasties know how much they need to grow. Much of your lees, the stuff at the bottom, is yeast that has gone dormant and settled out, so you could add 10 packets of yeast and they will grow accordingly as they consume the sugar. Just using one packet is more than enough for what you are looking to do. ;) I've also heard that you should add 2 packets for 6 gallons, but like I said, use a good starter and you'll have no problem.

It's true, a small SG drop is a whole lot in sugar being consumed. Joe Mattioli or Oskaar would be far better at explaining how that works to you than I could as they have far much more experience than I at SG measurements.

Keep good records of your SG readings and when your SG readings don't change for two readings within a 2 week period, then I'd say you're good to rack your mead.

As for your primary question of more yeast info, I've found these links:
http://forgottensea.org/medievalbrewers/yeast.html
http://sca_brew.homestead.com/files/meadyeast.html#TheYeastsIndex

Hope this helps.

Talon.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns