PDA

View Full Version : Citric Acid Questions

CosmicCharlie
11-28-2004, 08:41 PM
I usually don't add acid to mead, but I thought I'd give it a try this time. A brief description of my current batch: its a one gallon batch made with 2 and 1/2 lbs honey - tonight I'm going to juice 3 lbs of strawberries and add the juice when I rack. My questions are:

1. Is this a good time to add acid? When is the ideal time to add it? Keep in mind that I do not have any tools to test the acid level.

2. How much to use?

3. Can I sprinkle it in, or do I need to boil it in some water first?

4. How do you store the extra acid? I have a tendency to store a lot of items in the fridge - should this be one or not?

Thanx,

Talon
11-28-2004, 09:17 PM
1. Is this a good time to add acid? When is the ideal time to add it? Keep in mind that I do not have any tools to test the acid level.

Well, since fermentation has already begun and you're planning on adding it, I'd suggest add it after all fermentation has completed.

2. How much to use?

Add to taste. Take a small amount, keep record of how much you added to the test glass and multiply accordingly. Not an easy task, but will make it exactly how you like it.

3. Can I sprinkle it in, or do I need to boil it in some water first?

I just dump in the measurement that I use and stir it in gently.

4. How do you store the extra acid? I have a tendency to store a lot of items in the fridge - should this be one or not?

I store it in an air tight bottle with a silica gel canister inside it to protect it from moisture.