PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Starters

scottlind
11-29-2004, 10:50 PM
I did a search for instructions on how to make a good yeast starter but haven't found much.

Please advise as to the correct way to make a starter or maybe you remember the thread and could point me to it.

Thanks again for your knowledge!

Scott

CosmicCharlie
11-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, I don't know if this is the best way - but what I do is pitch the yeast in a cup of warm water (not hot!) and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Then I pour in a tablespoon of the yet unfermented mead (is this also known as "must"?) and let it sit another couple of minutes. Then I pitch the entire cup.

scottlind
11-29-2004, 11:05 PM
thank you! i also thought i read somewhere that some make it up a few days in advance.

is that done just with water or do you use a sample must then too?

i have only been letting my must set for about 24 hours before i add the yeast.

so if i used the must i guess i could only make the starter that far in advance.

CosmicCharlie
11-29-2004, 11:13 PM
It may depend on batch size. If you're brewing a 5 gallon batch, you could let it go that long. But I make it about 10 minutes before I pitch, regarless of size (1 gal or 5 gal) with no problems. I start out with just water, then after a few minutes I add a sample of the must.

Talon
11-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Charlie has you pointed in a good direction.

Another way is to use a cup of must and pitch your yeast in there with some nutrient and let it go ape for a full day prior to pitching. This method works great when you sulfite your must prior to pitching and it needs 24 hours to clear out the sulfite. Personally I don't follow this method of sulfiting.

Or following Charlie's example by simply rehydrating your yeast with a cup of warm water and an optional portion of must/sugar/honey mixed in is more than enough to get your yeast going prior to pitching.

David Baldwin
11-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Lalvin has some pretty specific instructions for their yeast. They'll give you exact temperatures etc at which to rehydrate, and precise time between rehydrating and pitching the yeast.