PDA

View Full Version : Clearing

Skinner
11-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the average time for simple mead to clear was? no fruits, spices and such, just plain old honey water yeast.

Also does the clearing of the mead lead to a better taste? A better smell? or is it just easier going down.

Thanks

Talon
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Clearing can take some time. I've had some that take over 2 months some less than a month to show noticeable clarity. It's clear when you can read a news paper through it.

The best thing is to let it gravity clear and all will be well. Just my personal preference, however, I do have handy some clarifying agents should I need them. Another good way is to chill the entire carboy, too.

zweitracht
11-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Clearing can take some time. I've had some that take over 2 months some less than a month to show noticeable clarity. It's clear when you can read a news paper through it.

The best thing is to let it gravity clear and all will be well. Just my personal preference, however, I do have handy some clarifying agents should I need them. Another good way is to chill the entire carboy, too.

I think what Talon is referring to here is called 'cold stabilization'.
I've seen lots of reference to it, but not advice as to optimum
temperatures, minimum and max time to perform, and
how effective it is. I seem to recall reading that you can stop
a weak fermentation in this manner as well.

Would anyone with lots of experience here be so kind as to
grace us with experience and bust associated myths?

Thanks,
Z

Talon
11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
I don't recall where, but I've heard that somewhere just above freezing is more than sufficient... Like between 35 and 40 degrees...

CosmicCharlie
12-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Here's a related question - can mead clear during a stuck fermentation?

I thought it could, which is another reason to take a hydrometer reading after it clears. Is that right?

Jmattioli
12-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Yes, thats right Charlie.
On cold stabilization, Any temperature below the operating range of the yeast will work. It varies with yeast. However for the common ones used here on this site, I found 1 to 2 days in a standard refrigerator is sufficient. As Talon mentioned that temperature is usally between 35 to 40F
Joe

CosmicCharlie
12-01-2004, 02:07 AM
So the mead being clear does not imply that its time to bottle - it could still ferment more.

Just want to make sure...

Jmattioli
12-01-2004, 05:22 AM
That's right. David Baldwin just reported such an occurance happening in another thread. Sometimes a fermentation is stuck so it starts to clear or is clear and something like the addition of fruit or more honey or water can change the PH enough to kick it back off. Also a change in temperature (usually an increase) can bring some of the yeast back to life from their hybernation.
Joe