PDA

View Full Version : flavours

Varangian
11-30-2004, 12:12 PM
For my next batch ofmead that I want to make, I want to add flavouring. I don't knowwhen todothisexactly. Is iteither inhte primary or secondary? I'm thinking of adding some kind of tea, either Earl Grey or chi. This won't be until after the new year at the earliest, but plase, any help would be appriciated! Thanks

Jmattioli
11-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Flavoring is best added after it is done.
Joe

zweitracht
11-30-2004, 08:38 PM
For my next batch ofmead that I want to make, I want to add flavouring. I don't knowwhen todothisexactly. Is iteither inhte primary or secondary? I'm thinking of adding some kind of tea, either Earl Grey or chi. This won't be until after the new year at the earliest, but plase, any help would be appriciated! Thanks

If it's not a fermentable or a 'regular' additive (say, pectic enzyme), I generally put it in the secondary.

Also, consider breaking down your secondary into smaller batches and experimenting with your additions. I chaied
my last orange blossom batch and the cloves were way too
strong. Now I have to wait to drink any of it! The agony!
The horror!

-- Z

scottlind
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
my last orange blossom batch and the cloves were way too
strong. Now I have to wait to drink any of it! The agony!
The horror!-- Z
i'll help you ::)

Oskaar
12-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I will drink any mead before it's time! LOL

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
12-01-2004, 08:49 PM
I will drink any mead before it's time! LOL

Oskaar

Hey, it's traditional! There are Norse references to drinking "foaming mead" -- sounds like they drank it
while it was still fermenting!

zweitracht
12-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey, it's traditional! There are Norse references to drinking "foaming mead" -- sounds like they drank it
while it was still fermenting!

Not pertaining directly to alcoholic fermentation, but isn't
fermentation the time when many nutrients are in their most bio-available state? Sauerkraut, kimchee ... drink hardy,
boys!

JamesP
12-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Foaming mead - they didn't have a method of carbonating it, did they, apart from while it is still fermenting (a sealed barrel)?