• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yeast and Why they Love Cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
Never made Cyser before so I thought with the 8 extra pounds of Orange Blossom I have, before my new batch of 60 pounds arrive Wednesday, I could make one. SO my recipe is thus:
8 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey Raw Grade A
1 lbs. Brown Sugar
1/2 lbs. Chopped Dates
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
Mead Nutrients
10g Lavin D47 Yeast
1/2 tsp Irish Moss
4 Gallons Natural Apple Juice
1 1/2 tsp Tannin

I heated to 150 for 15 minutes, cooled, racked, agitated, pitched yeast. Shook carboy 10 hours later to disperse yeast.

Now here's the question? NO problem just curious. MAN OH MAN is this fermentation Violent!! After less than 24 hours the must is churning by itself like it's on a stir plate and the airlock has so much CO2 going though it the center piece doesn't have time to drop, it's like the flow of CO2 is so powerful and constant that you think under all the ingredients there was an open bottle of CO2.

All my meads ferment quickly but only after a few days does the airlock reach a steady burp a couple of times a second. And I've never noticed the must swirling around like a whirlwind inside the carboy. Now maybe my other meads didn't have so many foreign ingredients in it to make it seem like it's moving.

Anyway, is this normal for a cyser? I mean it smells great, but at this rate it will be finished in a week...lol.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
That's pretty much normal for a cyser. The whirling activity is normal in mead, wine, beer, and pretty much anything I've fermented.

In this particular mix of cyser you really don't need to use tannin, or Irish Moss, you'll find that it clears pretty quickly. I'd suggest that the next batch of this cyser you make to try it with the non-heat method. I've done it both ways now and I like the non-heat method better. YMMV

Cheers,

Oskaar

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
Well the tannin is for flavor not clearing. The Irish Moss is just a habit I have, been using it for 12+ years. And now that I use a Filter system it's really pointless, but hey old habits die hard.

Cartierusm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 31, 2004
www.smokeproductions.com
Thanks I did not know that, or if I did I didn't remeber in any case let's hope it doesn't create such a dry mouth that I have to wash my mouth out with Tequilla, or wait, maybe that's a good thing..LOL

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oskaar - Ears perking up . . . did someone say Tequila???

Being a research minded individual, and a relatively sober person with a bunch of crazy friends, I often see the results of Tequila drunkenness firsthand. I began to take notes on various subjects and have compiled a list of mannerisms that are often performed by people who have consumed too much tequila.

Subject's face begins to stretch, as if struggling to keep eyes open. Neck and goiter of subject begin to bloat and quiver unattractively.

Subject begins to threaten loved ones with shoes, staple guns, other unconventional weapons.

Small racist man appears out of subject's pants, begins to tell impolite "jokes."

Falling violently to the floor, subject begins to bleed from knees, already scabbed over from previous drunk.

Subject insists on making a tortilla with beans and lots of mustard.

Tarot cards are revealed. Subject insists on reading stranger's cards.

Ignoring the concept of time, subject begins calling old friends who live three time zones ahead of them. While trying to form reasonable sentences, subject passes out with head tilted back, mouth open.

Where's the lime and salt?

Oshhhkaaaaaarrrrrrrrr

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Yes, certain amounts of sulfer containing gases are normal for a lot of fruits as they ferment. I personally find this especially true for apples. It should pass within a few days.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns