PDA

View Full Version : airlocks

Oddr
09-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty new and I'd like to make some mead but I have no idea what an airlock is. I understand what the purpose of it is but not sure what you use for one. Is it something I could make or do I need to buy one? I've heard people use ballons but what do I need to use?

WRATHWILDE
09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Oddr,

Welcome to the forum!

Airlocks are cheap, you can pick them up online. You'll need a stopper with hole for your carboy or gallon jug, but the lids on fermentation buckets will already have a pre drilled & gasketed hole for the airlock.

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16598

wrathwilde

Oddr
09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm New To Making Mead And I Really Appreciate The Help. Thank You For The Quick Feedback.

JoeM
09-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Airlocks can be purchased from any brewshop and often cost no more than a dollar. You can make one yourself simply and cheaply by just fitting your fermentation vessel with a piece of sanitized hose and running the other end into a vessel containing water or sanitizing solution. A balloon is a very quick (and half assed) way of making an airlock and i would suggest against it as its very easy to make a good one.

Oddr
09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Well I Don't Have Any Brewshops In My Area So I'll Try To Do What You Suggested But If I Get Pissed I'm Sure I'll Just Order Me One. Thanks For Your Input.

Brewbear
09-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey Oddr,
Welcome to the forums :)
Most probably the shipping will cost more than the airlock itself :-\ I woulg go with JoeM's suggestion. It is called a blow off tube and it is the best way to keep your brew safe and also not have a mess to clean up if the airlock gets blocked. Use a piece of plastic tube about 4 inches long to go thru the cork/stopper, connect to it a length of hose with its other end immersed in a jar with water and a teaspoon of bleach. That way the CO2 is released and no nasty bugs get in. If you need a recipe for a starting batch, use the Ancient Orange, fast, easy, little/no aging required, delicious. The longerit ages, the better it gets...I'm told, mine is gone in a few weeks. I start one just about every month now. Follow the recipe to the letter.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Dmntd
09-19-2005, 06:59 PM
I no longer use airlocks on my fermentors. This is what I use now - http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product177.html -

Anthony

Brewbear
09-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Well,
I kinda' like the idea of vodka in hte airlock :-\
B3 has the breathabe bungs too.

Ted

byathread
09-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I no longer use airlocks on my fermentors. This is what I use now - http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/product177.html

Any reason you prefer these to traditional airlocks?

Thanks for the info!
Kirk

intothefray
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
How easy is it to guage the fermentation with these bungs?

Dmntd
09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
byathread,

What I like about these, No messing around with fluid in the aorlock, low profile - had the cats knock a couple of airlocks off, easy to clean, after fermentation pull the tail down to seat the flap and its a solid bung - nothing in nothing out, if pressure pushes it out of the carboy - one piece to clean not four.

Anthony

p.s. I've been thinking about making an airlock with the tail of a whoopy cushion that way you can here if it's venting gas or not.