PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

Brewbear
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi all,
Just had a chance to listen to a few podcasts about brewing...well, mostly beer talk but they had 2 shows about mead.
Has anyone else checked them out?
Could gotmead start one???? Vicky is too busy but have Oskaar, Wrath, and the other experienced folks seen this? Maybe they could start one?????
Ooops, almost forgot lostnbronx, a show about the 2 week "flash meads" would be cool.
Ted

lostnbronx
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Bbear,

Where is this podcast available? Got an addy?

-David

Brewbear
09-23-2005, 10:19 PM
You have to install iTunes, they have the Mac and Win versions.
Click on podcasts and search for brew. there are several "shows",I'm sorry i do not have their names readely, one of them was "advertised" by B3.
I'll check the names and put them on the board.
Even tho you download them in iTunes, they are saved in your MyMusic folder as mp3's

Ted

Brewbear
09-23-2005, 10:42 PM
OK,
The two shows I downloaded are Basic Brewing Radio and Craft Beer Radio

Keep tuning in,
Ted

byathread
09-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Good stuff.

http://www.craftbeerradio.com/

lostnbronx
09-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Could gotmead start one???? Vicky is too busy but have Oskaar, Wrath, and the other experienced folks seen this? Maybe they could start one?????
Ooops, almost forgot lostnbronx, a show about the 2 week "flash meads" would be cool.

I got to listen to a couple of these over the weekend -- great reference, Bbear!

This would be a great thing to add to GM, I think. If anybody had the tech skills AND time, this would be an awesome thing to pursue. I don't think there's a mead-only podcast out there yet, and even if there is, a GM-centered show would kick posterior! This way we could all get interviewed and then pretend we're famous!

-David

Brewbear
09-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'll be a legend in my own mind :-\
As far as i could tell, there is no mead specific show. The guy from Basic Brewing Radio www.basicbrewingradio.com had 2 shows on mead and a few people asked him where they could find more about mead. He posted on his site a few links and asked the listeners for more suggestions. I, of course, e-mailed him yesterday with gotmead's address ;D I hope he will mention it in one of his shows, I also told him to try the Ancient Orange. That'll be a kick!!!
The good thing about the podcasts is that you can download them as mp3 and listen to them on anything that plays mp3.

Ted

webmaster
09-26-2005, 07:10 AM
OK, so lets look into it. I'm all for putting a podcast on GM. We have a RSS feed, so why not?

Vicky - back home tired and happy from a skirmish (pistol team medal!)

memento
09-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I understand that it's not hard to have your podcast listed on iTunes. If one is created it should also go there for a much broader audience!

Brewbear
09-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi all,
Just took a look at the latest podcast from http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/
Gotmead has a link there now and Ancient Orange is mentioned as well. ;D

Ted

webmaster
10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
So, you techie types out there. How hard *is* it to set up a Podcast?

And, while we're on the subject:

1. What do we talk about?
2. Who will do the actual 'cast?
3. Where do we get it linked?

I think we need to work out how we'd like to do it, a schedule, topics, and who will do the voice work. I've done radio DJ stuff, and like to talk, so I'll get on board to host it, and if you want, be the 'Larry King' of the podcast, but I suspect we've quite a few others that would like to get on the bandwagon....

Likewise, who wants to talk, and about what? If we do interviews, any suggestions for questions? I'm thinking that podcasts of interviews with meaderies might be fun, and a live 'cast from the MeadFest, maybe one with Nomacorc (who is headquartered about 5 miles from here).....

That's my initial input, lets see where we can take this, y'all!

Vicky

lostnbronx
10-04-2005, 01:46 AM
I think a lot of us would love to get involved, but whoever does should realize up front that a quality program of any kind takes dedication and commitment. As the best source for mead info out there, I think it's important that a podcast from GM be as slick and professional-sounding as possible. A show doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles for this by any means, but it does need a good recording ability, good behind-the-scenes people who can line up good guests, and a good host with a gift for asking good questions.

Actually the questions will just about ask themselves in an interview, if you have the right guests, and a decent rapport with them. And phone interviews allow you to get almost anybody on a show like this. My point is, the on-air stuff is actually the easiest part to do. Finding the time and energy for a really quality product is the hard part. Who lines up the guests, and makes sure they know the whens and wheres? Who does the technical work of recording, editing, and polishing a show (intro music, credits, etc.)? Who posts it? Who maintains that archive? Okay, this last would be Vicky -- but in addition to doing GM as a full-time gig, would she also be stuck putting on a regular show all by herself? It's a nightmare that could happen, believe me.

A GM podcast would need to be a regular, or, at least semi-regular, feature. People who become fans of the show would want to know that it'll be available for download every Sunday night (or whatever), and they'll troll GM regularly for it. I mean why do this at all if not to open up a new avenue for meadly information to get out there, and, not insignificantly, to help build GM up? The people involved need to be commited to it. It doesn't have to become a crusade or anything, but they would simply have to be reliable. And enthusiasm ain't reliability, charming as it is. Enthusiasm evaporates as soon as things start to look like work. What's left over had better include integrity and commitment to a goal, or the work load piles up fast. Like with any successful project, the folks involved in a good GM podcast would have to make it a priority in their lives -- again, not a top one, not above family, jobs, or making mead (!), but if they commit themselves to working on it, they have to keep those commitments or the troubles begin.

Yeah, I'm talking from experience: a couple of crummy cable-access t.v. shows many years ago. A good podcast would have things in common with that experience...everyone wants in because it sounds like fun; those who are the most reliable end up doing most of the work; and nobody is getting paid. I'm very much for this idea. It's certainly doable, because tons of people are doing it. But a few cautionary words now might save lots of head and heartaches later.

-David

memento
10-04-2005, 08:32 AM
David - that's a great "reality check" on this.

As to the creation of a podcast, I can do this easily. Anyone can, actually. All you need is Quicktime 7 Pro. $30. A podcast is just an MPEG4 audio file. Someone would record the audio. CD. AIFF. some high bitrate standard format (not WMA). Then someone would simply open it in QT and save as mpeg-4.

To host a podcast, you can set it up as an RSS feed on GM's website or you can have it hosted through iTunes and post a link from GM. That way you don't suffer the massive bandwidth that our huge audience will consume and you don't even have to host the file.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/podcasting.html
http://www.apple.com/podcasting/

webmaster
10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. I'm hopefully going to be launching Redstone's new site today (barring any more delays from their host), and will be out of town Thurs-Sun this week.

When I get back Monday, I'd like to start roughing out our approach to this. We need a plan, so we don't get a nightmare like David said could happen. I'm willing to commit to trying to get a semiregular show out, especially since I'll be going full-time 'Gotmead' after this week. But I've not really followed the podcast technology, so I'll need your input to ensure we're not creating crap. Oh, and it occurs to me that it could be put on Audible.com too.

Vicky - rubbing her hands together in gleeful anticipation of becoming a full-time Meadwench

scout
10-04-2005, 10:29 AM
I would love to volunteer, but I'm afraid that I might become one of the problems mentioned by David (fantastic reality check, I agree). However, are you going to need some extra donations for this project, Vicky? For equipment, software, what have you? Once we are no longer in a state of financial flux due to closing on our house, I was planning on making some purchases from the GM store, but if you need more than a couple of bucks, I can prolly go ahead and just send money to you. That way I can help, without the possibility of messing stuff up, because life gets weird on me again *grins*.

I think this is a great project, and I am looking forward to subscribing.

Angus
10-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Vicky,

First of all, I would love to volunteer. Let me know how I can help.

Second, do we have a member of GM who has had experience in radio? I know from the minimal fiddlings with making CD mixes that creating a professional sounding audio file with music tracks, voice overlay etc. is very time sonsuming, particularly without the right programs. If we have someone who is already experienced, he/she would be a tremendous asset to the podcast initiative.

Third, I am sure we are all willing to provide soundbytes for the show. If the only thing we need is a quality digital sound recorder, then you can have reporters from all over the world visit sites or people to provide interviews. This does get tricky since some people do not have the funding to buy a recorder. Perhaps the production team can purchase a recorder and send it to members to obtain the sound file for the show. All that is spent then is the cost of mailing the small business recorder.

Finally, a suggestion for topic submission. Maybe you can create a suggestion box that is not a topic format where others can reply. This way, you can get single suggestions without the string meandering away from the original idea. It will also make it easy for other people to see the topics that have already been suggested before they post their own. Interviews with meaderies, apiarists, yeast manufacturers, and very experienced GM members are at the top of my list.

Hope this helps.

Angus

P.S. Perhaps Oskaar could do one report in Latin. I am sure the Roman GM members would be very grateful ;)

Brewbear
10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey all,
I'm glad to see the idea is taking a hold. Thanks David for the *reality check*, I wish someone would have given me one years ago on career choices :'(
I would like to help as time permits, sending sound bytes shouldn't be too difficult. Have like a focal point, a place where the material is collected and edited.
My understanding is that iTunes hosts podcasts for free and you link them to your web site.
As for ideas....one show is all about tasting beers *live*so those with delicate palates ( Oskaar & Co.) can do that, review the commercial meads ;D Something like *Have corkscrew, will travel*, talk to some of the brewmasters( mead and beer),Ken Schramm ;D, interview the yeast folks, methods of making mead (pros and cons), the big internationa *Mead Fest*, ask Vicky what got her started in meads and then the web site....
Most podcasters ask the audience to send in ideas for upcoming shows.

That's just a start
Ted

Norskersword
10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
What a great idea. I'm not sure how I could help, but count me in as a future audience member!

Here is an idea. How about a featured commercial mead of the week or something. This would also help out all those meaderies having a hard time out there. And helping meaderies means helping mead get to the masses.

By the way, the online radio More Beer was advertising was http://thebrewingnetwork.com.

memento
10-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Ted - that was part of my point (but I didn't explain it well). iTunes will host it for free and the millions of people who have downloaded iTunes will have instant access to it. Either via the link to it in iTunes from GM or directly through iTunes podcasts.

I was training at my college radio station, but graduated before I could get 6 months in, which is a requirement for FCC certification - so I never made it on the air.

We would need to divide up the tasks. I am much better behind the scenes and would likely be willing to dedicate to the tech end. Converting the recordings to the right format and making them available as podcasts. First I want to look at EXACTLY is required to do and how long it will take me. Having broadband and a dual processor Mac will help a lot. :D

memento
10-05-2005, 07:40 PM
ok - correction. It looks like you have to host the podcast. iTunes only provides the mass distribution.

Brewbear
10-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi all,
The guys at http://thebrewingnetwork.com. do not have their broadcasts available as podcasts as of now, they will be available soon ( that's what they say on their site). The casts are available as downloads in mp3 format and once you get past the first 10 -15 min. of palavering, the rest of the show is pretty good.
My hope is that if GM will have a podcast, the self promo/non-sensical, fill the air-time with jibber -jabber will be excluded. It is nice to project the friendly atmosphere in the studio to your listeners, but filling 20 min. with it tends to push the limit. I had the ability to skip most of it (the second time I listened :'() but were it not for that, I would have said The H%$L with this and moved on. The other podcasts, while shorter, will give you a brief news update and then get to it.

Ted - seeking knowledge, not drunken jibberish, has enough of it on his own :-\

memento
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Creative Mac website has a series on podcasting. Very thorough.

Podcasting 101: http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=34338
Podcasting 102: http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=34618
Podcasting 103: http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=34855
Podcasting 104: http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=35076

webmaster
10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I have to say that if I put in the time (all of it my personal time at this point) to create and maintain a podcast for GM, there will be *some* self-promotion, since advertising and promotion is the *only* form of income for Gotmead. Right now ads and clicks are bringing in around $150 a month. I'm not exactly getting rich here. At current prices, I can't even afford to drive to the grocery store for gas (LOL).

Can't eat on that, folks. I'd like to take this full time, but a lot of work will go into generating enough income for me to pay some bills before I can. And that means promotion, ads and whatever else I can come up with. The only other choice is to make this a subscriber site, and I'm pretty sure y'all don't want that. (Heck, *I* don't want that!)

:::Click the Ads! Click to Google! Support Gotmead and its advertisers to keep the site up and free::

Vicky - finally got Redstone Meadery Live!!!!!

Brewbear
10-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi all,
From what I gather, thebrewingnetwork.com people are in some way associated with B3. I think that podcasts would be a great way to advertise the Got Mead site and get more people to log in. The format I *see* on most podcasts is adds, promos, e-mail from listeners, topic of the day. Ends with *thanks to....promo, people involved with the podcast, ask listeners to visit the website, submit ideas*. Many podcasts are promos with a lot of info on the topic chosen, but it would seem to me that what drives the entire venture is promoting ideas, sites, etc. There is a form of podcast ranking (by iTunes?) and the more people listen/donwload, the higher you go in ranking. I believe it would be a great way to promote Got Mead and also the Homebrewer group that Oskaar has been talking about. What better way to let people world wide know about this great site and the start of a group dedicated to the advancement and recognition of home mead brewing?

Ted - *steps off the soap box*

lostnbronx
10-14-2005, 03:53 AM
I think we can all agree that this could be a really good thing for GM and mead making in general. Just among the regular posters, we have the technical savvy, the on-air skills, and the desire to do this. Those are the pluses. But what are we lacking?

Maybe just a plan of attack.

Vicky might be the most over-worked person I've seen in a long while. Between the Redstone site job and other real world (read that, income producing) projects, AND the bazillion things she wants to work on with GM, up to and including doing it full-time, she's got both ends and the middle of the candle burning brightly. She's had on-air experience, and, of course, she's the world famous Gotmead Meadwench, so she's the only logical choice for the position of host. Now, every show needs a producer. Obviously Vicky is Executive P. in this regard, with the final say on everything, just as with all other things GM-related, but if we want to keep her sane, somebody else needs to step up and do the actual work of assembling the talent and technical processes involved, and putting together a basic structure for the show. I'm talking about somebody who will recruit any of the help needed, either from the ranks here at GM, or elsewhere, and who will put together a format outline for Vicky to go over. This same person would then need to organize the actual workload, research any equipment or computer programs needed and either get somebody to buy them for the show (or lend them anyway), or ferret out the best possible prices and submit them to Vicky for approval and purchase.

Now, if on-air promotions are a necessity of this, then they should be embraced and integrated into the basic structure of the thing. GM would get mentioned constantly on the show. Advertising space availability on the website would get mentioned, as would the GM hats, shirts, etc., and the soon-to-be-seen GM homebrew supply store. So long as it doesn't turn into an infomercial, there's no need to be shy or ashamed of this. GM will be offering a really cool and entertaining source of info, and it has things for sale. No big deal. Hell, for that matter, why even stop at promoting GM? Vicky could offer commercial or "sponsorship" space on the podcasts to potential advertisers, getting this thing to pay for itself. This has a few bright points, since on-air ads are both timely (the latest podcast episode) and eternal (the archived podcast episodes): for the low, low price of blah-blah dollars, they get an ad that keeps working for them long after the show was first posted. On-air commercials don't have to be slick, and, really, don't even have to be commercials -- "This week's program is brought to you by Thus-N-Such Homebrew Supply, who stocks everything for the home beer, wine, and mead maker, on the Web at thusnsuch.com; and by Bloody Hangover Meadery, currently offering a seasonal selection of very fine small-batch melomels, on the Web at bloodyhangover.com." This wouldn't even take twenty seconds of airtime, but it would pay for the podcast. This is how it was done in the early days of radio, and it worked just fine to cover the bills.

Memento has already raised his hand for the behind-the-scenes production work. That would make him technical director at the least. This is a huge leg-up for a project like this. So...who wants the thankless job of Producer? People should NOT be shy about asking for it -- if you think you can do it, and you want to do it, then please say so. Even if you're not sure if you can do it, but you kinda-sorta think you want to try, say so. If several someones want to try, then great -- Vicky can choose a Producer, and an Associate Producer, and the workload gets divided up nicely. Personally, even though I'm a stay-at-home dad, I don't have the time to devote to this as a Producer-type person, so I'm out. I can say this, though, from personal experience: when you're in charge of a production, and it's going poorly, you'll want to commit hari-kari in the bathroom -- but when it all works, and it goes the way it's supposed to -- man...it's just plain magic! And when a reliable group is formed, and a couple of shows are under their belts, things will start to fall into a pattern and get that much easier.

This really can happen. And it really can be good.

-David

webmaster
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Ted, I agree that lots of good info will drive traffic to Gotmead, but I have to agree with David's ideas about doing it like an old-timey radio show, and both promote Gotmead and the shopping it will (soon) have, as well as sell some time on each 'cast to advertisers.

Right now, Gotmead only costs about $100-$150/month to keep up and running (not including programming time, thats just software/hosting and such). My goal is to get the Gotmead revenues up to around $2K per month. That will let me eat, and let me put a significant sum into the site as well. I'd like to invest in an ad software package that *doesn't* re-write the pages every 30 seconds, and the shopping cart and mods will cost probably around $1200 by the time I've got everything in place. Plus there is blogging software, podcast software/hardware, more hosting space (we're eating up what I have), mirror sites for redundancy, mailing list costs (I use Constant Contact), plus a number of other things that need doing.

My time is going to be much more my own after this week. We launched Redstone Wednesday (go take a look: http://www.redstonemeadery.com and tell'em you heard about them on GM when you order), and that was the only site project I had on the hook, so I'm basically not generating 'real' work after that. Once I finish doing taxes this week, my time is my own. I'll be finishing putting the rest of the GM pages into the new format, and adding a lot of content. Then the new stuff starts, beginning with a shopping cart and a honey shop. I'm hoping to have all the new stuff in place by Xmas.

As far as producing, editing and such: I would of course want to retain final approval of all 'casts, since my site name is attached to it. I wouldn't mind being host, I like doing radio, always did, but I think we need 2 hosts, if only because my life is a bit crazy most times (I'm also a stay-at-home mom while doing all this stuff), and you should always have an alternate/partner.

Re producing, I'll admit that I have no experience at it, and will gladly hand it off to someone who does. Ultimately I'd like to buy the equipment needed, but right now, Gotmead runs off what I can glean from the personal budget, which isn't all that much, so the loan of needed tools will be necessary, at least for a while.

As far as promotions, I don't see why we couldn't integrate them even more than what David says. If we happen to be interviewing a meadery ('Meet the Pros'), then they would naturally want to sponsor that show (or could be more easily persuaded), as they get not only ad air time, but live time to talk about their place and their wares. Promotional? Sure. Are you interesting in the meaderies of the world and what they have to offer, both in meads and in advice to those looking to 'go pro'? Dang straight!

I know David doesn't have the time as Producer, but I've hopes of him being willing to offer his advice in the role of Production Advisor, when the in-line Producer needs some input from an outside source. Memento, thanks for volunteering the Technical Director stuff. That helps a *lot*. And David, I'd hope for your support on choosing the Producer(s), as I'm not qualified to make a wise choice.

Now, further on the Plan of Attack, what about format? I'm thinking perhaps a couple of regular features, some rotating features, and a random feature. Some ideas (feel free to chime in, shoot down, kibbitz, etc., these are suggestions only):

Regular feature:
- Recipes
- Troubleshooting your mead
- Commercial mead review
- Creating your own mead (figuring out recipes, ingredients, etc.)

Rotating feature:
- History of mead (Dan, you interested?)
- Meet the Pros
- Mead around the world (like that cool Argentinian mead Ben brought back, yum!)

Random feature:
- The International Meadfest (yearly, of course)
- Honey - what works and what doesn't, discussion of varietals and where to find them
- Renaissance faires (most serve mead - we could do a 'man on the street' thing)

Just some initial story ideas, lets see where we can go with this to leap from......

Vicky - doing clean-up on Redstone, finishing taxes, and chomping at the bit to really put in some serious time on Gotmead...

scout
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Ooh, ooh! Story ideas I can help with! Although, to be honest a great way of coming up with story ideas is simply to run through the forums and see what the hot topics are. That's a pretty good indication of what mazers want to know about. But here's some things I thought of:

a newbie feature: basic sanitation, good first recipes, worst mistakes from experienced mazers, where to get your equipment/ingredients, mead tasting, etc.
equipment reviews: what works, what doesn't, what you NEED, what is on your "dream" list, why stuff works
Ask the experts: listeners can email in questions and one of the GotMead experts can either email in a reply for the host to read, or if they have time and equipment can answer on the air (in my head this is the "Ask Oskaar" part of the program, but only if he agrees *grins*)
another random feature for you: legal issues

Some other stuff I was thinking of:
Figure out how long you want the program to be (30 minutes, an hour, variable?), then decide on what features you want to be regular and how long each of them should be.

I thought of another way to tie in the site with the 'cast. I think that having a recipe every show is a great idea, but the idea of listening 5 or 6 times while trying to write stuff down for it might get a little annoying. So my thought was why not have a worksheet for each program? Like a class outline. In pdf format, so it can be really nice and pretty. It could contain the recipe for the show, any facts and figures that were rattled off during the show (like if they were talking about specific gravities of various honey types, or something), a brief outline of the show, etc. etc. You could end each show with a "If you missed the recipe featured in this show, or would like contact information for someone featured on this show, please go to GotMead.com for a free download of this show's outline." You could also add in some advertising revenue by offering an ad for the show's sponsor on the download for an additional X dollars.

Okay, my brain is tapped for the moment, but I'm sure I can come up with more. *grins*

webmaster
10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
OK! *Now* we're talking!

Guys, I can't tell you how cool this is. I never would have thought of podcasting (ok, maybe I would have *eventually*, when my brain got uncluttered with all the current stuff I'm doing on GM), even though I see it every day in my marketing emails.

We're rolling with this thing, I think.

So, now we've got a very rough plan, some great ideas (way to go, Scout!), and a direction.

When do we want this to launch? What else do we need that we haven't discussed?

....and.....

will Oskaar be willing to chair an 'Ask Oskaar column?

::GD&R:: (grinning, ducking and running)

I'll do whatever I can on my end, though I'd like to request that we wait at least until I've gotten GM all into the new layout. The layout is done, I just need to cut and paste the page info into the new format.

In other news, is anyone of you willing to write us a new 'how to make mead' basic newbie article? It would go here: http://www.gotmead.com/making-mead/

Back to Podcasting, I can create a new section easily, and have Adobe Acrobat (and I'm sure others do too), so creating a worksheet would be easy.

If I might offer a suggestion, we could also duplicate some of the content on the mailing list (which hasn't seen a newsletter in awhile), and put the recipes (and Ask Oskaar questions) there.......

memento
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
a nice tidbit for the future: as of 2 days ago, iTunes and the new iPods now support video podcasts. :D Of course, those take up more space and more bandwidth for the site. I did a little test using the standard for video podcasts, and it was very impressive. Beautiful video quality. It is a true open standard, meaning that there will soon be open source software to encode to those specs (not like the proprietary and closed WMV).

Angus
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
In other news, is anyone of you willing to write us a new 'how to make mead' basic newbie article? It would go here: http://www.gotmead.com/making-mead/

Yes, if you think I would be suitable. How often though? 1 a week/month? How long do you want the articles? What format would you like to see?

Angus

Mynx
10-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Been following this thread with lots of interest, and all i can say is AWESOME!

I'd love to help, tho I wont have the time (or experience!) to produce. However, if you need help with articles/interviews etc (I was thinking I could do a report on teh Clinton War next year?) I'm more than happy to pitch in! Esp since I'd be a Canadian voice, and being based in Vancouver, I have access to a couple meaderies AND our new mead club -- we're having a tasting this sunday actually...I'll have to remember to take notes.

Nother idea just popped into my brain. A rotating/one-off feature on buying honey. What to look for, and WHERE to get it, depending on region...I know I've had a hell of a time finding sources in BC that arent stupid expensive.

lostnbronx
10-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Vicky,

I'm available, certainly, for sounding off purposes and giving my opinion. I'll PM you in the next day or so with my list of people from the Forums who we might want to look at recruiting, and they can be contacted via back-channels so as not to put them on the spot in public. Exception: Mynx, Brewbear -- you two have more to add than you know, and if you might even consider working on this, I'm certain you can do yourselves and GM credit. Production or radio experience is probably in short supply, so no matter who works on this, it will involve a learning curve. Personally, I'd start off by listening to a range of podcasts on a range of topics, just to get an idea of what's currently being done.

So far, on board we have Vicky, Memento, and Angus (cool beans on the newbie articles, man!). I won't even count myself, because I'm just a voice in the desert right now, and I've got some stuff going on that I simply have to focus on. I'm not very good at multi-tasking, anyway, which was a problem in the old days and would become one again, I'm sure.

The ball is rolling -- the trick now is to keep it going without getting squashed.

-David

Brewbear
10-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi all,
I'd love to help in any way I can. I am in the process of applying for master's programs but heck! mead is more important ;D
As you know, my meading experience is very limited but I do have a computer and am quite able to use it.
Mynx, if you have a digital recorder or any means of recording, take with you to your mead event. Get *interviews* of the participants,it could be used.
Vicky, most podcasts i've listenet to refer the audience to their website for archived shows, links, etc. This should increase the traffic on the site. Having a brewing supplies store makes it even more enticing, you buy the suff and if you get in a jam, we, the forum elves, help you out.
Most formats are: stating the topic, responding mail from listeners, plug the site(your own), discuss the topic and plug your site, refer people to your website, thank those involved and direct the listeners to the website.
Angus, most podcasts are weekly.
As David stated, I agree that Vicky should have the final say so on the program.
I have listened to 2 shows that were interviews over the phone, so the only limit is our collective imagination and of course the hardware/software. Let's start with a list of what software we need to get the project rolling. I for one have some software I thought I need but never opened the boxes.Who knows, it may be something that's needed now and I have no problem contributing that.

Ted

Mynx
10-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence LnB :)

Let me know what you need doin'! I'll pitch in my time for sure!

Hmmmn, I dont think I have any recording stuff...hrm... /breaks out her old minidisc

JAG
10-15-2005, 08:15 AM
I love the podcast idea also and cannot wait to listen! I found this list of software at podcast alley...may be of interest.

http://www.podcastalley.com/forum/links.php

Brewbear
10-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Hi all,
I started looking at www.cnet.com and read http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-6212319-1.html?tag=more
This is a new podcsting software. I would appreciate some input form the tech savy members around here ;D
Since the trial version is free....

Ted

memento
10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
First question is hardware, then we can talk software. Because SW is dependent on what HW you use to record the podcast. Plus the HW is probably the hardest part (or the part with the most investment required). You don't really need any fancy podcasting SW. It's quite simple.

So what hardware would be used? Cassette? Mini cassette? MiniDV camcorder? VHS tape? CD?

The SW I have can accept anything that I can plug into my computer in almost any format. CD, DVD, 1/4" or 1/8" jack, RCA plugs, firewire, USB.

To simplify this, how will the person recording the podcast actually do the recording?

lostnbronx
10-16-2005, 03:22 PM
First question is hardware, then we can talk software. Because SW is dependent on what HW you use to record the podcast. Plus the HW is probably the hardest part (or the part with the most investment required). You don't really need any fancy podcasting SW. It's quite simple.

So what hardware would be used? Cassette? Mini cassette? MiniDV camcorder? VHS tape? CD?

The SW I have can accept anything that I can plug into my computer in almost any format. CD, DVD, 1/4" or 1/8" jack, RCA plugs, firewire, USB.

To simplify this, how will the person recording the podcast actually do the recording?

Good point, Memento. If the basic format of the recording isn't much of an issue, then what needs to be considered is sound quality vs. cost. The most bang for the buck is what's needed. If somebody has a decent recorder of any kind that they can loan to the cause, that is best right now. They'd need to take a leap and send it to Vicky (as the host, the shows would be structured, physically, around her and her location). Barring this, somebody needs to research the recorders that are out there now and find out what's cheap and good. Digital is almost certainly best if we're starting with new equipment. Memento, as Tech Director, think you could take this on? Obviously, we're not talking about buying anything just yet, just learning about the state of the tech right now.

Headsets with decent microphones might be most practical, but I have no idea what the sound is like through them. Vicky would need to have the ability to record someone else (or several someone elses) in person along with her, so this would probably be, what, multiple input jacks needed? A multi-plug add-on jack that fits onto the input line? I don't know what would be possible on a super low budget.

A possible way to finance this would be for people to go ahead and buy whatever (cheap but good) equipment Memento says needs to be obtained, send it to whoever will need to physically have it, and "bill" the Podcast program. As Podcast-specific revenue starts to roll in (well...trickle in), part of this money goes towards compensating the donators. They'd have to wait a bit to get their money back, but it would happen eventually. This is just an idea, and would require a certain level of faith and good will, but it could get things moving along. Coordinating this would be the Producer's job, whoever that ends up being.

Just some thoughts...

-David

Brewbear
10-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi all,
Since I stirred this hornet's nest, I will pitch in with the headset/mic combo. I have my eyeson a noise cancelling set. I will start with this and see what else is available ;D
I think that any laptop running XP or OS 10.x.x will be able to run the recording apps. What I was looking at last night was a new app. designed for podcasting, the link is in my previous post. It allows you to record, edit, insert clips and package for broadcast/load thru FTP. If any of you wasts to take a look at it....the trial version (30 days?) is free and the app. costs $50.
It sounds very doable to me.
Still wonder what Oskaar, Dan, Wrath et all think about this.
I am looking for some free time to download the app. and give it a go with some very basic (read cheap) equipment to see the limitatios.
As for recording, I guess digital recordings would be best, eliinatind the need for changing from analog to digital.
If I am not mistaking, I have an app. that allows the user to record all that comes thru the soundcard, ie while listening to a music broadcast online, I can record and save it as mp3.

Ted - runnning on fumes

memento
10-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Ted - that SW is XP only, otherwise I'd give it a try. I run OSX. There are similar programs for OSX. I figured I'd try them later, once we get the actual recording done, which would take the most amount of time.

Agreed that a digital format would be best for the recording. That would avoid the need for "realtime" conversion. Meaning for an analog source, you would have to play it to convert it. But digital, it would convert as quickly as your processor (or dual processors :) ) will allow. But I'd be willing to accomodate whatever recording means that people have.

I know that there are mp3 recorders. Creative Labs, Archos, iriver all have models with mic recording. That would be the easiest. Then they are already mp3 format.

lostnbronx
10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I know that there are mp3 recorders. Creative Labs, Archos, iriver all have models with mic recording. That would be the easiest. Then they are already mp3 format.

Memento,

What's the sound quality on these? Because this would certainly be the best route if the sound was decent.

-David

memento
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
The creative labs devices record in IMA ADPCM format. This will have decent sound quality. The Archos records in WAV, which may or may not sound good, depending on the bitrate. I can't see from the website if that is selectable. I'll try do a bit more research tomorrow. We're talking about spoken word, so it should compress well (narrow dynamic range).

Bitrate is key. stereo vs. mono is irrelevant.

Brewbear
10-16-2005, 10:17 PM
memento- as far as I know, iPods can be used for voice recording with a mic attachment from Griffin Tech. I have yet to try it.
The app. I was refering to was a *bonus* from my creative labs mp3 player, it was supposed to be used in converting old Lp's into mp3's. I think that 128kbps is acceptable for a decent sound quality.
Check out JAG's post he has a link to podcast alley, these guys offer the complete podcast package.

Ted

lostnbronx
10-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Just finished listening to a really nice podcast on barrels and oak on Grape Radio, available here:

http://www.podcast.net/show/746

Scroll down to #8 The Business of Barrels. This show has a good format, with a round-robin group of hosts, and a knowledgable call-in guest. They had a sponsor, which they plugged at the beginning and end of the program, intro and outro music, and a friendly, informative style. The guest got to plug his business too, naturally. Not a bad listen, with lots of info (I've learned more about oak here at GM, but that's from over the course of a year or so). The editing was a little choppy, and the recording sound of the guys who were live was a bit hollow, but not too bad. The key seems to be running a ballance between staying on-topic, and letting the conversation flow.

Over all, this is a well-done show, and the kind of thing we can learn from.

-David

WRATHWILDE
10-17-2005, 07:31 AM
This might be of use for recording interviews, only the person doing the interview would need it installed.

http://www.modemtools.com/callcorder.htm

Wrathwilde

memento
10-17-2005, 10:27 AM
These are all good suggestions, but we need to know who will be doing the recording and how. If it's by phone, then the callcorder is great. If it's in person, then a USB microphone connected to a laptop is best. If no laptop, then a portable digital recorder. Dave mentioned a "hollow" sounding recording. Different recording devices all have different characteristics. Hollow sounding can be partially corrected with the right equilization, but you can't eliminate it. Likewise, you can't add depth to a phone recording. We will be limited by the technology and the $$ we can invest.

Oskaar
10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to chime in on this late. Many things, little time yadda yadda yadda. I'll be happy to contribute as time and schedule permit. I'll record on my big box upstairs. I have a good microphone and Adobe Audition which has some very effective filters and converters that render very clean audio. I'll submit my stuff in MP3 format.

A couple of suggestions.

Set your programming up so that you have several shows worth of content, that way you'll have material to work with and can plug and play if you find your shows running long or short.

You need to form a production crew and decide on who's going to call the shots. Then you'll need to set up a program director, producer, voice talent and anything else necessary to get the logistics and infrastructure in place.

Once you have a framework in place you can hammer out your program format, and populate it with content.

Anyhow just a few ideas there.

I'll be happy to speak to whoever offline about content and such.

Lemme know,

Oskaar

Brewbear
10-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Oskaar makes a good point. I was thinking about this and about to sugest having several shows ready...sort of. It is much easier to work on and fine tune a show that will be aired in 2-3 weeks. As usual, Oskaar beat me to it :-X :-\

Ted

lostnbronx
10-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay folks, here it is: Dmntd has graciously agreed to be the sucker Producer for the podcast.

All Hail Anthony!!!

With his experience in the entertainment field, and ability to analyze and absorb new info quickly and comprehensively, not to mention his creativity and sense of humor, he's the natural choice for this thing. There's a big learning curve here for everybody, and he's currently inhaling lots of new info on the topic, but I'm very confident he's got the juice to pull this together.

So it's Vicky, Memento, Brewbear, Mynxy, and now Dmntd. Am I misising anybody so far? If yes, I apologize and there's certainly no slight intended. I'll be chiming in from time-to-time on stuff you guys choose to post on the Boards, so I'll be watching (and hopefully, soon, listening) anyway.

Great stuff, ya'll! This is starting to look good!

-David

Brewbear
10-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey lostnbronx,
Now I'm lost :-\
Any suggestions on material to read/research - like what would a producer do?, I like *playing*with the sound editing stuff tho. My last trip to FRY's (today) was to check out headsets. The noise cancelling ones....pretty affordable, so when we're about to kick this puppy in gear, count me in! I'm hoping to have some time in the next 2 weeks and get to play with some new apps. that are a all-in-one type designed for podcasting. I also started downloading some sound effects. This sounds like fun, I'm getting antsy! The one BIG question is: who is going to host this? I am certain that there will be co$t$ involved. Also, we should have a concensus on the harware/software we will use, it would eliminate the compatability issues between mac/pc.

Ted -running on fumes again :-\

Mynx
10-21-2005, 01:27 AM
And I stioll dunno what I'm doing, but I'll do it with GREAT enthusiasm! :D

scout
10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Mynx, do you do anything in any other way? *big grins*

Mynx
10-21-2005, 12:06 PM
*thinks about it*

Nope! ;)

Dmntd
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey Ted,

I have a couple links of interest;

http://www.imp.org/howto/howto-produce.asp?sitemenu=off

http://www.podcastingnews.com/articles/Producing_Podcast_Gear_Yo.html

http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/2005/09/how_i_put_a_pod.shtml

http://www.moviegeek.homestead.com/files/featprod1.htm

Brewbear
10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey Anthony,
Thanks for the links, I think I will graciously let you handle the job while I sit and learn :-\ Let me know how I can help you.
The podcasting gear, that's a different story. The Steve-Lacey link...the dude has it going on big time, most of the time his discussinn/description was getting over my head, but the article from podcasting news was really good. I might go and buy the book.

Thanks again,
Ted

Brewbear
10-31-2005, 12:36 AM
There is a podcast at http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/ that should be of interest to us all, it is an interview with Dave Logsdon of Wyeast on yeast - part one
Tune in and stay up to date ::)

Ted