PDA

View Full Version : Storing Yeast

Mu
09-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Storing Yeast

I did a quick search and didnít see any topics dedicated to this subject so I figured I would ask. From what I understand itís best to keep your yeast in the fridge. Are there some yeastís that shouldnít be kept cold? Or is it fine to put them all in the fridge. Or are there better methods to storing yeast?

Iím referring to dried yeast here. But if you have advice for storage of other types of yeast Iím sure I will take a mental note for the future.

Mu.

Dan McFeeley
09-24-2005, 04:31 AM
[insert avatar here] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/mcfeeley/hart1a.jpg[img]

Hey! It worked! (I used an image hosting site to insert the avatar image)

Although you can keep dried yeasties in a cool dark place, a refrigerator will extend the shelf life of the packet. No, there aren't any dried yeasts that shoudn't be kept cold, and I'm sure that applies to all stored yeasties.

Mu
09-24-2005, 05:29 AM
Must have got a dead packet of yeast with the homebrew kit I got then. Not surprising since they keep it in a heated store <Sigh> with I had a good home brew shop closer by.

Brewbear
09-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching?
I got in the habbit of rehydrating as per manufacturer's instructions and then add an equal volume of the must i will pitch the yeas in. So far it has worked!! Even for the beer kits where the instructions tell you to add the yeast dry, the fermentation is supposed to start in 4 -12 hours. By rehydrating and adding a little wort, I get happy bubbles in about 45 minutes, slow at first and then increasingly faster.

Ted

Mu
09-25-2005, 02:35 AM
Well I did a half batch so I covered the top in yeast, used most of the pack, meant for a full batch. When that failed in 12 hours I re-hydrated some and tried. That failed so I used some other beer yeast I had and now itís all good and fine.

I guess you have to buy your yeast from a credible source who stores it correctly.

Mu.

storm1969
09-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I've had yeast stored in the fridge that was still viable 4 years later.

Brian