PDA

View Full Version : My First time

MeadTime
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I just want to make sure I have this down, and will not end up with race fuel. I have brewed beer many times, but this is my first mead, and needless to say i am excited

Ingredients:
10lbs honey
1 pkg Red Star Premier Cuvee Dry Yeast
2 teaspoons Fermax Yeast Nutrient

Procedure is simply, clean everything, prep yeast, warm honey, warm water, Stretch my back out and then shake up my carboy, place the air lock on; salivate and wait. Then bottle and age, I was hoping for it to be ready by christmas.

Questions:

Will 3 1/2 months be long enough for a drinkable dry Mead?

Are there any errors in my procedure or missing ingredients?

I wanted the Mead to be initially sweet with a dry finish, hopefully all goes well :D

Oskaar
09-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the board Meadtime!

Your recipe as it stands will come out very dry and will need to age for a while before it will be really smooth and enjoyable.

Is this a five gallon recipe? Also, are you looking for dry, semi-dry or sweet? Based on your answers you'll need to increase the amount of honey you use.

Cheers,

Oskaar

David Baldwin
09-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Your batch size is critical to knowing how to advise you on how sweet/dry to expect this.

Joe Mattioli has reported success with early drinkable meads by stopping the ferment at about 10% ABV leaving a bit of residual sweetness.

(Joe feel free to crucify me if I've misrepresented you. :D)

David

lostnbronx
09-26-2005, 12:53 PM
David,

You'll have to stand in line if Joe wants to crucify people -- I've been pointing at him for weeks now regarding my Two-Week Pyment experiments! Guess I should put on some sunblock if I'm gonna be hanging around!

-David

briankettering
09-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Premier Cuvee does a wonderful job fermenting honey. If you start off with 10 pounds of honey in a 5 gallon batch, your mead will be dry through-and-through, from initial sip to that last lingering aftertaste. Dry meads tend to take about a year to become drinkable, sometimes longer.

Your timeline seems to indicate that you would like the mead ready for an upcoming event. Try making a mead which is closer to a beer than a wine.

Start off with 8 pounds of honey in a 5 gallon batch. This will give you an original gravity of about 1.050. Any wine yeast will ferment the mead dry, giving you an alcohol level of about 5.5% abv. Consider using an American or English ale yeast it leave a hint of residual sweetness.

If you decide to go this route, try using the darkness honey you can find.

Brian K

JoeM
09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I find that most meads that turn out to be truely awesome at 12-18 months taste like they could be used to strip paint off a barn at 3 months. In other words you'd probably be cutting it pretty short with the timeline. Right now I'm actually starting to plan my meads christmas 2006!

byathread
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
MeadTime,

Sweetness tends to mask other undesirable flavors and for this reason dry meads tend to take a bit longer to be nice and drinkable. You might try Joe's Ancient Orange recipe for something that'll be ready on your timeline.

Cheers,
Kirk

Brewbear
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm with Kirk on this one. Just bear in mind that the Ancient orange will finish sweet, more like a desert wine. It will be drinkable in about 21/2 months and better at 31/2!!!

Ted

MeadTime
09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Wow thanks for all the input, this forum is great!

Well my internet decided to die on me and I couldn't read any responses, so I just went ahead and did my own thing(i am too impatient). The only change I made was the addtion of 2 cups of Lingonberry Concentrate (which tastes a lot like Cranberry). I did that because I figured it would be mostly alcohol if I didn't, but it may still be.

I added the all the ingredients together, and my must,mash,wort was around 110 deg Fahrenheit, I poured in the hydrated and prepared yeast which was living at the time. And waited, 2 hours passed and I had no activity. I threw in another packet and it started to make the airlock bubble. I didn't understand, but I figured the temp had gone an' killed the little suckers.

After reading all your input I am going to let it sit in the carboy for a while, but I have just a few more questions.

Questions:

I have honey that has settled on the bottom of carboy should I shake/stir it up?*

How long should I keep it in the carboy if it is destine for bottles, and should I prime it with honey?

*BTW I took initial gravity reading when the honey was settled at the bottom, because I had forgotten and it came up as 1.011?! ???

WRATHWILDE
09-29-2005, 12:26 PM
If you are within the first 3 days... stir the heck out of it. If you are past 3 days stir gently... you generally don't want to expose your mead to Oxygen after passing the 3 day mark.

Wrathwilde