• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Try #2

Barrel Char Wood Products

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
Hi all,

So im finaly in one spot for long enough to give mead try #2. Below is the recipe i am thinking of trying, let me know if there is anything that stands out or that may need some tweaking.

Thanks!
Digital_Druid

15 lbs orange blossom honey
1 lb buckwheat
5 peaches cut in bits
1 cup of raisins
2 packets d-47 yeast

Peaches and raising in for primary ferment, then lost when transfered to carboy for secondary fermentation.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I assume you mean buckwheat honey? Or are you making a braggot?

check it by weight but 5 peaches in 5 gallons may be pretty ligth on flavor. Though I suppose it will come through with age, it could be quite nice.
Some people advocate adding fruits to secondary fermentation to preserve the tastes more, rack it on before fermetation is completley finished but very close, you can see how close you are by checking gravity.

On a side note, this looks okay to me, but something I learned as a new brewer:
A straight honey mead is not to be underestimated, there are alot of nice complexities in a dry or medium honey mead that are under rated by first timers because they dont look as interesting. Orange blossom especially makes a fantastic show mead for great results on a simple brew.
If this one gives you trouble, try going simple first.

Best of luck in all your endeavors

~Wolfie

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
Oh yeah, i meant buckwheat honey.

I like the idea of a milder fruit taste. My last try was a cysler, and it ended up being ok, but tasted like poor cider. I think part of my problem was that i used bland honey, and nothing carried over but extra sweetness.

Would more fruit but keeping it to the prmary be a decent way to have the peach flavor present, yet secondary to the honey flavor?

Thanks for the feedback!
DigitalDruid

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
From what I've gleaned out of the forums, if you want "peach" flavor then you should put it into the secondary. When you put it in the primary, what you end up with is "fermented peach" flavor. Think the difference between grape flavor and fermented grape flavor (wine). Some people do both, to layer the two flavors and add a complexity to the mead.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi there,
The recipe is good if you want a straight mead, the 5 peaches will act as nutrients along with the raisins. If you want peach flavor, consider a couple of pounds per gallon in the secondary for a few weeks at least- or until fermentation is over. By adding fruit in secondary, the alcohol already present will extract the flavor into the mead.

Ted

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
Thanks all,

I will probably leave out the peaches in the primary and then flip a coin on whether to add them to the secondary or to have more of a honey centric mead.

DigitalDruid

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns