• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Nutrient substitutions?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MacLupine

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
www.maclakey.us
I've a good question for the newbee section.
i'm starting a recipe this weekend, and it calls for superfood... now, I've forgotten to procure said superfood.
is there any suitable (natural or not) substitute for this?
-Mac

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It would help if you post your recipe, especially what yeast you plan on using.

Cheers,

Oskaar

MacLupine

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
www.maclakey.us
Certianly

Here goes.

Peanut Butter Mead

Starter:
500 ml water at 74 F.
50 ml purple sage
½ t. superfood plus (shaken to mixed)
71B-1122 rehydrated to package specifications.

Prepare starter and add re-hydrated yeast after 15 minutes.

Must:
12lbs Honey
6 lbs organic peanut butter with oil drained off.
5 qt. Water
¼ C Black tea, loose leaf

Bring must to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 40 min.
Skim oils and scum from surface, and remove from heat.
Add ½ t. Irish Moss and 1½ t. Superfood Plus.
Let the must sit over night.

The next morning, remove all the muck that comes to the surface. Drain to carboy. Add water to bring level to 3 gallons.
O.G.: 1.148
P.A.: 20%
Balling: 35%

Pitch starter after one more day.

Cover with cheese cloth, and aerate every day for 4 days then fit airlock.

Add Honey and water at two rackings.
Rack for 3rd time and add 3lbs peanuts simmered for 2 days in crock pot, skim fat from surface after cooling and 3lbs honey.

Finish should be 25% ABV.

One of the only things I'm really confused by, is what the purple sage is supposed to achieve.
-Mac

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
I bet I know some things Oskaar is going to point out *cheesy grin*. This looks like a beer-brewer's mead recipe (because of the Irish Moss), and from what I have read here on the forums, the moss isn't really necessary (but please someone point out if I am wrong - still a newbie here). And the other thing is that you don't need to boil your must, unless you are trying to replicate a historical mead - the scum that usually comes to the surface as you do it is some of the stuff the yeast feeds on. Dan can tell you the name of the person who did the research on this.

The purple sage confuses me, too.

Chopped dried fruit is often added for nutrients, but I couldn't begin to suggest how much.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
MacLupine said:
One of the only things I'm really confused by, is what the purple sage is supposed to achieve.

I found the purpose of the Purple Sage - Wrathwilde

The Earth quakes and the Heavens rattle; the beasts of nature flock together and the nations of men flook apart; volcanoes usher up heat while elsewhere water becomes ice and melts; and then on other days it just rains.

Indeed do many things come to pass.

The Purple Sage will walk among us again.

When the third lord of the new frontier is in her seventeenth year, the Purple Sage will descend back upon the earth to redeem the faithful.

So it is written in the annuls of Mu, and in the secret diaries of Lao Tzu.

Keep this prophesy always close to your heart, and build a sacred shrine to the Purple Sage, and you shall be redeemed

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Mac, Dude!

I'm going to suggest that you step back from this recipe and reconsider your approach. In no kind of way will 71B ferment to 25 percent no matter how much feeding you do. When using 71B I'd recommend using Fermaid K which is designed specifically designed for Lallemand/Lalvin yeasts.

I'd suggest you read up on Dmntd's peanut butter mead recipe and get some advice from him on using peanut butter. Scout pointed out some other relevant items including heating your must, which isn't necessary.

If you don't know what the purpose of the purple sage is, it's better to leave it out. Where did you get the idea for the purple sage? No need for it, and no reason for it in the starter.

It's not a good idea in my opinion to leave your must sit overnight untreated (treated with sulfites) because you're giving spoilage organisms a chance to get a foothold in your must. If you must use heat, it's better to allow the must to cool to a sufficient temperature to pitch your yeast.

I don't know where you got the idea for all of what you plan on doing to this mead, but I think you really need to take a giant step back and rethink your approach and recipe. Obviously you'll proceed as you deem appropriate, and that's fine, but I would not be optimistic about the outcome of the recipe as posted.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
My first recipe was from The Complete Joy of Hombrewing and included the Irish Moss (see Antipodal Mead). It is supposed to be a clearing agent, but as of today, the Mead is still very murky. I will never use it again (based on advice given here by the more experienced) but will use chilling, racking, and a clarifier if needed.

Angus

MacLupine

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
www.maclakey.us
Thanks Oskaar,
It looks like it can be MUCH easier to brew this mead than I had thought.

I'll get the yeast that was intended in the original recipe, which wasn't 71B, this is actually what the guy in the store handed me and I said... duhhhhh. ok.

Many good points... and I'll definately take them all into consideration, and re think my recipe.
-Mac

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns