• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

If you had to...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
say one author was your all time favorite, whom would it be?

Myself, it's H.P. Lovecraft

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Mine is Diana Gabaldon who has written a series of books of a time travel from 1945 to 1743 in Scotland pre Scottish Rebellion or the "'45 Rising" with Bonnie Prince Charlie.
She currantly has 5 books out in the series. The sixth in the series came/comes out the end of Sept. 05. Can't wait to get it.
I love her characters... Claire Beauchamp from 1945 and Jamie Fraser from 1743 Scotland.

If anyone is interested.. the first of the series is "Outlander"

:) Suzy Q

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I love that series! I read it every year!

Fave author? Hmmn...I have lots. Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, Clive Barker, etc etc etc... :D

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Mynx said:
Fave author? Hmmn...I have lots. Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, Clive Barker, etc etc etc... :D

Just one Mynx... but I'm in the same boat, I've read almost as many books as I've seen movies... again, because my Dad's Library was 1/2 the size of a used book store. Mostly Science Fiction, Fantasy & Humour.

Down to one? Sorry no can do.

Wrathwilde

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Mynx, have I told you lately that I love you? *grins* And Wrathe, you have hit the nail on the head. My personal library could BE a used bookstore. Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Laurell K. Harding, L.M. Montgomery, L. Frank Baum, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov - and these are just the ones that I have more than 8 books by, definitely my favorites.

Pick one? Impossible.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia Woolfe, Colette, and Henry James. Anita Brookner. Jorge Amado. I also spend a lot of time reading cookbooks as if they were novels.

Miriam

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Oh yes, add Jack Whyte, Tolkien, Guy Gavriel Kay (heir to Tolkien IMO), Pratchett, and Neil Gaiman to the list. And like Miriam I have cookbooks galore (making Thai tonight for the first time as a matter of fact!)

Between the boy and myself our library is ~600 books (the majority of those are mine). I've run out of shelves!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
For me, it's Joseph Conrad, Raymond Chandler, Ray Bradbury, and C.J. Cherryh, in no particular order other than my mood at the moment. Emily Bronte was my all-time favorite when I was a boy, satisfying my teen angst, but I'm not that passionate anymore, thank the Goddess. And, like most of you, I have lots and lots of individual favorites by other authors.

-David

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Dean Koontz, Niel Gaiman, Poppy Z Brite, Clive Barker, V.C. Andrews, Mark Twain, Connie Willis, Edgar Allen Poe, Donatien Alphonse Francois, Marilyn Vos Savant, William Gibson, Spider Robinson, Robert A. Heinlein, Lewis Carroll, Larry Niven, L. Frank Baum, H.G. Wells, Brothers Grimm, Jules Verne, Verner Vinge, Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, Harry Turtledove, Walter M. Miller, Isaac Asimov, Hal Clement, Thomas Harris, Miyamoto Musashi, Sun Tsu...

Top the the list of my favorite authors, but, the first name that comes to mind is always Lovecraft.

Anthony

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Ok, Since it's compilation time...

William Gibson, Neil Stephenson, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Spider Robenson, William S Burroughs, Anne Rice, Anne Rampling, Hunter S. Thompson, Tolkien, Frank Herbert, Umberto Eco, Ayn Rand, Piers Anthony, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Anton LaVey, Robert Anton Wilson.

Wrathwilde

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
I have a passion for young adult literature. I've been working on a novel in that genre myself. My favorite children's lit/YAF authors are M.T. Anderson, Lois Lowry, Philip Pullman, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Madeleine L'Engle, Laurie Anderson, Libba Bray, Scott Westerfield, Cynthia Voigt, Robert Cormier.

My favorite adult writers are Denise Giardina, Frank Herbert, Juliet Marillier, Federico García Lorca, Stephen King, Octavia Butler, Pablo Neruda, Rosalía de Castro, Gabriela Mistral, Jose Saramago.

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wrathwilde,

The Douglas Adams series jumped out at my from the bookcase right after I posted that list.

Anthony

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Dmntd,

If you liked William Gibson's "Neuromancer" then you'll dig Neil Stepenson's "Snow Crash" and "The Diamond Age". His newer works are Damn fine too!

Wrathwilde

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Thank's Wrathwilde,

I'll pick them up. I don't recall reading anything by Stepenson, and nothing by him in the bookcases.

What did you think of Ginsons The Difference Engine?

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It's really hard to narrow it down, but if it's one it would have to Homer's The Iliad and the Odyssey . I first read them in English, then Latin and started in on it in Greek a while back. Too bad I can't speak ancient Greek to feel it the way it was originallky performed, but maybe someday.

The first line of the Iliad tells you you're in for a rocket-sled ride:

Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles,
murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses,
hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
great fighters' souls, but made their bodies carrion,
feasts for the dogs and birds,
and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end.

Anyhow, I mostly read history, science fiction, fantasy and some espionage/intrigue/adventure as well.

So I like Ovid, Herodotus, Mallory, Charles Beaumont, Michael Moorecock, Frank Herbert, Brian Lumley, Joe Haldeman, Tim Powers, Bentley Little.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Glacierwulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 19, 2005
if i had to choose one: Robert A. Heinlein

more choices would include: Orson Scott Card(Enders Game), RObert Jordan, Crichton, Peirs Anthony, JRRT.

Glacier

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns