PDA

View Full Version : Just started a Cyser

jrigal
10-01-2005, 03:14 AM
Just started the 4 week Quick Cyser recipe listed by Norskersword on 6-14-05. (I also started a 3 gallon Blueberry Melomel - both are my first mead attempts). Made some minor changes. I added a half pound of honey and all I had was D-47 yeast. I want it to end up sweet. If I follow his plan, it should end sweet, right?

Here's the link to his:

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1188.0.html

If my differences warrant any other changes, please let me know. I just started it today, so maybe it won't be too late.

jrigal
10-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Uh.....got foam coming up into the airlock. I think I may not have left enough head space, but I'm not sure. Is this normal? The water is normal. It's bubbling every 2-3 seconds. The neck of the jug is FULL of foam. I don't have a blow off hose. This baby's going! I don't want a mess, but I don't want to contaminate. Any tips?

scout
10-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Duck?

Just kidding hon. I dunno, other than wait for the foam to subside and slap a clean airlock and stopper on it. Maybe you could pull the stopper and let some of the CO2 out en masse?

Brewbear
10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi JR,
2.5 lb honey and +/- 64 oz apple juice will add up to about 13.3% PABV wich id below the alocohol tolerance for D-47. This yeast is listed as topping at 14% but my experience with it was 16% :-\ What does this mean to you??? It will ferment to dryness, unless you actively stop fermentation when the sweetness level desired is reached. Refrigerate the cyser for 1 week and then rack on top of metabisulfite and sufides. 3 lbs of honey will allow the yeasteies to ferment to completion ( no need to refrigerate and add chemicals) and leave behind some residual sugars--> sweet cyser.

Hope that helps,
Ted