PDA

View Full Version : too high an OG on my cyser?

memento
10-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm doing my first cyser today and must've underestimated to SG of the cider. The OG of my mead is 1.16.

3.5 gallons of local cider
1.5 gallons of wildflower honey
2 tsp of yeast energizer
wyeast dry mead smack pack started 24 hrs in advance. pack was very well started! date of manufacture was sept 20th 1005. very fresh.

no boiling, but pitched at a temp of 78degrees.

I spent almost all day finding an orchard that DOESN'T use K-sorbate. but I confirmed that they UV their cider and do not use any chemicals.

My question is - is the SG too high for fermentation? I think this will end up where I want it, as long it ferments!

WRATHWILDE
10-02-2005, 07:55 PM
You'll probably end up with between a sweet to semi-sweet mead at those levels, if Wyeast can take you to 18%. I have no experience with Wyeast so I'm not familiar with the tolerance. You should be OK.

Wrathwilde

memento
10-02-2005, 08:11 PM
As long as fermentation will not be hindered by the high OG, it will ferment to semi-sweet, which is what I want. The wyeast will ferment fairly well - but I've not pushed it to see how high a tolerance it has. We'll see with this batch. I've just never started with such a high OG. That was my real concern.

WRATHWILDE
10-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Might not hurt to make a starter if you're unsure , but if you give it plenty of air & nutrients, I don't think you'll have a problem. The High SG I don't think will hinder the finish, it might get off to a slow start though.

Wrathwilde

memento
10-02-2005, 09:56 PM
cool. thanks! We'll see tomorrow.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
So is it bubbling today?

Curious minds need to know...

memento
10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I just got home and checked. :) happily bubbling away. I guess I got prematurely freaked out.

Pawn
10-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Thats great news!
I remember reading about a group brew (envolving member "hightest") at the brewboard, it was ABC (apple butter cyser), if I remember correctly the abc was OG 1.150 or a tad more and the brewers commented that the residual sugar a yr later had the flavour of a special sugar added into the recipe.

I may have to try out your recipe, I believe a residual honey sweetness would better compliment the apple tartness and add more complexity than simply adding sugar of any kind, yup Im in ;D

I am a newbee ::) so I will have to check and see if my stienberg yeast will do the trick or not, good luck and keep us posted, Cheers...John

::John:: a mere 9 months from calling self a "home mead maker" :o

Brewbear
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Starters help when your must has a high OG. The one I started today was at 1.138 and with the starter it was bubbling within the hour.

Hope it helps,
Ted

memento
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I highly recommend starters. The smack packs are basically small starters - but this time I think I should have made a larger starter with it. If I use anything different like White Labs pitchable yeast or D47 dried, I always make a starter. Think about the advantages. You're hitting the must with a huge number of yeasts that are highly active.

memento
10-11-2005, 09:38 AM
So I did the hydrometer thing this past weekend. 1.12 after a week and still going. I added 1 tsp energizer just to be safe. I may do that weekly so that it goes all the way to 18%.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
memento,

My first cyser, which was spiced with a Christmas spice mix ended up what would normally be considered pretty sweet (FG = 1.042). But because of the spices, the tartness of the apples, and the amount of alcohol (final ABV = 14.71%), the sweetness does not stand out the way it might on another type of mead or wine. For instance, my Blueberry Wine stopped at 1.038 and tastes like pancake syrup so I am continuing to nurse the fermentation along.

The recipe for the Christmas Cyser can be found in the Brewlog but the adjusted OG (due to additions during process) = 1.151. I used EC-1118, which is one of two or three yeasts that work extremely well with high SG musts. I am not sure about the characteristics of the yeast you chose, but if it is up and running, chances are you won't have problems unless you mess with it.

Good luck,
Pewter

memento
10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the input. For some reason I have a bad feeling about this one. I don't know why. I tasted my hydro sample and there was nothing funky. I put a heating pad under it, on low, that keeps it at 75deg or so. I do unplug it when I'm at work. Not comfortable leaving a heating pad plugged in when I'm not home.

I do have a packet of EC-1118 just in case I need to use it. I'll check your Christmas Cyser.

memento
10-14-2005, 07:30 AM
It looks like it's REALLY slowing down. I expect that the SG is no lower than 1.10 right now. Is there are problem if I were to create a starter with EC-1118 and pitch that? The other yeast has not died and settled out. Or should I wait it out? From what I know and have seen, it doesn't look like it's going to pick back up and ferment strongly again. Is there a possibility of that happening? What else can I test for? I don't think the pH is out of whack because it tastes fine.

WRATHWILDE
10-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Take another reading, you may be surprised how far it can drop in 4 or 5 days... without it you won't know for sure whether it's stalled or not.

Wrathwilde

memento
10-16-2005, 11:21 AM
ok. So I have been watching it. Little bubbling from the airlock (if this doesn't make sense, it's because I have my 2-year-old nephew beating on me while I type). Little bubbles floating to the top like I'm used to seeing. But I tested the SG today. 1.075. That's from 1.12 in a week. So it's acting differently that I've seen, but at least it's still moving on at a good clip. I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

Oskaar
10-16-2005, 12:31 PM
If you're using D-47 you can use a lees stirrer to SLOWLY, GENTLY, resuspend the yeast. The object is not to aerate/oxygenate, but to get the yeast moving so they can resuspend and chew on more of the residual sugar. Lacking a lees stirrer you may swirl the carboy to get it into suspension as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
10-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I'd be careful with the stirring, that's how I ended-up with a facefull of mead and a whole lot of carpet to clean. Put the carboy in a large trash bag first, it will contain the mess and reduce the clean-up area :-\ By the way, if don't have a lees stirrer, Karl from B3 Riverside called me yesterday to let me know that they finally have them in stock, I've been waiting since June.

Ted

memento
10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
I have 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. There's enough room for expansion. It's not D47, it's wyeast dry mead smack pack. But I will spin the carboy to resuspend the yeast that has settled. Still I'm happy! :) And it tastes much better. By my calcs it's at 11% ABV at 1.075 SG.

Brewbear
10-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Way cool ;D

Ted

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I have 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. There's enough room for expansion. It's not D47, it's wyeast dry mead smack pack. But I will spin the carboy to resuspend the yeast that has settled. Still I'm happy! :) And it tastes much better. By my calcs it's at 11% ABV at 1.075 SG.

I will reiterate what Brewbear said about being careful while stirring. Even with the huge headspace, if you agitate the must enough, you will end up with gallons of suds all over everything. Just stir enough to get the yeast/lees that are on the bottom of the carboy swirled around to get them back up into the must. After you stir for a few seconds, stop and see what sort of reaction you get. You may be surprised. If the reaction is not too bad, continue to stir some more...

Good luck!

memento
10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I did a little spin. I put the carboy on the carpet and spun it around a couple times. It stirred up the lees, slowly rising. No foaming action from that at all. I'll be testing the SG again this weekend, but I don't expect to see much decrease. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong again. Cyser seems to be a much different beast.

If it has slowed way down, should I add energizer? I'm nowhere near the tolerance of the yeast yet.

JAG
10-21-2005, 12:00 PM
My cyser stopped before reaching the alcohol tolerance too...by quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone knows this to be the case with cysers and why?
Maybe pH? If your must is too acidic, how do you compensate for that?

HighTest
10-21-2005, 12:57 PM
My cyser stopped before reaching the alcohol tolerance too...by quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone knows this to be the case with cysers and why? All of my meads finish at, or below, 1.014 - most are below 1.005.

IMO, the critical issues affecting honey must fermentation are:
1) Proper nutrient & nitrogen feeding
2) pH control
3) Oxygenation

The higher the must OG, the more important these factors become to effective fermentation. Some have said I place too much effort on staggered (timed) nutrient additions. However, I'm not the one having problems... ;) :)

As examples, I have two meads in progress at this time. One is at the end of a 123 point fermentation (present SG =1.004, and still dropping), and my cyser dropped 18 points in the first 24hrs. :)

Brewbear
10-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey High-Test,
Where the heck you've been, man?
I will echo your points, in my limited experience I've come to understand the importance of O2 and nutrients, especially in high gavity musts. It has been my experience that matching the yeast to the task plays a major role as well. If you use a strain of yeast with high nitrogen/nutrient needs in a must lacking or poor in nutrients and you do not provide them, you are tempting fate. I agree and follow a staggered nutrient addition schedule as well. Let your critics say what they may, you can not stop them, the results will show :-X

Ted

memento
10-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I guess that settles it then. I'll add nutrients this weekend.

HighTest
10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I guess that settles it then. I'll add nutrients this weekend. There's more to it than simply adding them. It's important to add specific amounts at key points during the fermentation process... Further, adding too much at the wrong time can lead to problems.

You might like to read these FAQs: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showforum=36

HighTest
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey High-Test,
Where the heck you've been, man?I'm usually around. Although I'm registered on 5 different brewing forums, I spend most of my time on HBA's board. ;)

Brewbear
10-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Yup! I noticed that.
Good to see that you pop in hete now and again too :-\

Ted

memento
10-22-2005, 11:58 AM
ok. hightest. It looks like I SHOULDN'T add it. I'm definitely past the halfway point. I guess all I can do is wait and pray. :) I did order some DV10 just in case I need to try to restart it.

HighTest
10-22-2005, 03:25 PM
ok. hightest. It looks like I SHOULDN'T add it. I'm definitely past the halfway point. I guess all I can do is wait and pray. While you're waiting let's revisit a few points. Your recipe notes you used 3.5 gal of cider and 1.5 gal of honey. Were those US gallons? I see there are some people here that use metric and I want to be sure.

If so, you noted your OG was 1.16. What is the present SG?

memento
10-22-2005, 08:03 PM
That is US gallons. The SG as of last weekend was 1.075. I'm expecting 1.06 or so when I check tomorrow.

HighTest
10-23-2005, 08:51 AM
That is US gallons. The SG as of last weekend was 1.075. I'm expecting 1.06 or so when I check tomorrow.Yes, let's see that new SG reading. I suspect it will be lower than 1.075. ;)

BTW, if you check the WYeast website for #3632 yeast you'll see this note, "...Use additional nutrients for mead making." What they are trying to tell you is that you is that because you are fermenting a honey must (and possibly that 3632 yeast also has higher nutrient needs) you should add both yeast nutrients and DAP. But please don't do that now...

memento
10-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I just checked and it looks like it's stopped. Still 1.075. no change. It tastes good, but I definitely need it to go further. I used additional nutrients with the wyeast. Right now I'm thinking about repitching with a K1V starter. Any other thoughts? I can't test the pH because I don't have the equipment.

HighTest
10-23-2005, 11:14 AM
That's too bad. :( There are a couple of things you can try. But, if the reason your mead stuck is too low a pH, a starter will not help. Neither will more nutients or infusing oxygen.

Personally, if you have the means, I would make a new batch of cyser. However, this time keep the OG down to ~1.100. Use your K1V yeast (you should use 2 packets) and let it ferment to absolute dryness. I would also ensure the yeast was properly rehydrated, and use a staggered nutrient addition schedule. You may find the details here: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showforum=36 Yes, it's a bit more work. But the point is, it works!

Once your new cyser is ready for it 1st racking (you SG should be below 1.000), you can mix the two cysers to lower the overall SG to a more reasonable value.

If you're willing to do this, I'll work out the math & proportion details for the new cyser and the mixing. Your present cyser can rest where it is until the new cyser is ready to mix.

memento
10-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, doing a bit of research, cider has a pH of 3.6 to 4.0. Can I make that assumption and try raising the pH? What would I use? baking soda?

HighTest
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
No, that assumption would not be valid. The reason is that the process of fermentation lowers the pH (more acidic) - I have seen the pH go below 3.00. There's no rule than can be applied here. Unfortunately, a measurement is required. I would not offer a suggested amount of any chemical with insufficient data. Too much can go wrong... ;)

BTW, I would not use baking soda. It is a sodium based compound, which can easily make your mead taste salty. Potassium Carbonate is the chemical I use for pH adjustments when needed.

memento
10-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I might consider doing a second cyser and mixing. I would need another carboy :) you twisted my arm. I'll just have to tell my wife that I have no choice!

The airlock still shows a little activity, that is why I expected the SG to be lower. Am I being too impatient?

What I'm shooting for is a cyser that has an SG of around 1.02. After tasting mine, I think up to 1.04 would be fine. That's part of the reason that I'm still thinking about repitching another yeast. To see if I can get it to drop by 0.04. If I can get that, I'll be happy.

HighTest
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Ok. First I'll need to know the volume of mead you presently have at 1.075. Try to be as specific as possible. I know it hasn't be racked yet. Also, what size carboy is it in?

BTW you'll need 3 containers. One - the present carboy with the 1.075 mead. Two, the carboy for the new cyser. Three, a carboy to rack them into - this will take some planning. ;)

memento
10-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Well, I hope to have 1 free in a couple of weeks when I bottle my vanilla mead. With the one I'll buy, that makes 2 empty plus the one with my cyser.

It is in a 6.5 gallon carboy. I firmly believe it to be 6.5 gallon. Strange size, but it's old and wasn't originally for brewing. I also believe to be very close to 5 actual gallons.

HighTest
10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Ok, I'll use 5 gallons. Now here's the bad news. Because of that high SG must (1.075) a little goes a long way.

Here's where you stand. If you mix 1 gal of your 1.075 cyser with 5 gallons of a cyser at 0.996, you end-up with 6 gal of a 1.009 cyser. That means it will take a few dry cyser batches to use-up that 5 gal batch...

memento
10-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Except that I want 1.04 to 1.03, not 1.009. How does that calculate out? I would think that if you took 5 gallons at, say 1.000 (for easy math), and mix that 50/50 with 5 gallons at 1.075, then you get 2 batches at the midpoint, 1.0375, which would be perfect.

HighTest
10-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, a 50/50 mix would get you to 1.0375 (10 gal). I was just rying to see how low I could go with even gallon mixes.

memento
10-23-2005, 02:31 PM
cool. Now what would a correct recipe be to make a 5 gallon cyser that ferments to dryness? I don't want to start another one, only to have it die too soon.

Oskaar
10-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Well,

Here's the way I blend. SG is all well and good, but blend it to taste rather than to SG. Blend it, taste it, blend it, taste it and then when it's where you want it take an SG reading and you'll know what level you like.

Do it on a small scale first. I generally do 500 ml and add from another 500 ml container until I get what I want. Then I can calculate what amounts of each I need to yield my optimal mix.

Numbers are fine, but to me they do not dictate blending, rather they confirm what I have blended and help me with a target brix/gravity in further blending.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

HighTest
10-23-2005, 02:47 PM
...SG is all well and good, but blend it to taste rather than to SG. Blend it, taste it, blend it, taste it and then when it's where you want it take an SG reading and you'll know what level you like. I would agree. But Memento seemed to feel that his "magic number' was 1.0375. Once he gets the new cyser finished dry he can confirm his belief... ;)

HighTest
10-23-2005, 02:53 PM
..what would a correct recipe be to make a 5 gallon cyser that ferments to dryness? Use 8 lbs of honey and 4 gal of sweet cider, staggered nutrients & DAP, & 2 packets rehydrated K1V yeast. I would suggest you read & folow the appropriate FAQs from the link I noted above. Your OG should be near 1.098

memento
10-23-2005, 02:58 PM
That does help. I tend to do things by feel, but if I'm going to blend, then I need to make something suitable for blending. Normally I shoot for 1.02 to 1.01 for my meads. As it turns out, I think I like my cyser sweeter because I want some cider taste still there. 1.0375 was and is still a guesstimate of where I think I want it. Right now I'm a bit weary of cyser. As good as it tastes, I've not had these problems with anything else. So I like the idea of blending with a very low SG cyser, so long as I can actually ferment one!

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm sure this will succeed in the end.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I think you will be happy with your cyser at around 1.0375. Mine finished at 1.040 and is right about where it tastes pretty good. Nice blend of sweetness, spices, tartness, acidity, and apple flavor...

Good luck!

memento
11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
For now, I've started a starter with K1V. I've been acclimating the yeast over the past 2 days and tonight I'll be doing my final acclimation. Tomorrow night I should be ready to put it into the cyser and see what happens. I still have time before I bottle and free up a carboy (if I decide I need to blend).

memento
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I repitched the acclimated yeast and it's been fermenting since 11/2 (wed). Still going. Not quickly, but strong and consistent. I'll take an SG reading this wed 11/9 and hopefully will see a nice change for the better.

memento
11-10-2005, 12:54 PM
The SG, as of last night, was 1.071. :D As long as it keeps moving, I'm a patient man.

memento
11-18-2005, 08:50 PM
well, tonight the SG is 1.070 :(

I got a pH meter and it says 3.25.

help! It's dead again. I thought about making a dry cyser and mixing, but that will dilute it and I want it to reach 16-18% or so.

I have D47, K1V, DV10, EC-1118 and cotes des blancs immediately available. I really want this to ferment further, so help here is appreciated.

Can I make another cyser and feed it to push it over 20% to use for mixing it? Would it be easier to try and get this one going again for another 0.03 SG?

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I'll raise a flag and someone with some reference books handy or a better memory than mine can comment but I believe that 3.2 or so was the low end of pH that could be tolerated by yeast. Your trouble may be pH management. Anyone else have a comment?

memento
11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I couldn't find any yeast reference info that also had pH tolerances listed. I did find some info on "pro restart" yeast. It can handle pH as low as 3. I figure that since this is supposed to be a cure-all for stuck fermentations, and it has a min pH of 3, that my pH must be killing my yeast.

"ProRestart is the easiest strategy but for it to be successful make sure that your wine falls in these parameters:
Alcohol - up to 15.5% (final)
pH - as low as pH 3
Free SO2 - maximum 15 mg/L
Residual sugars - will work well even below 10 g/L of sugar
Volatile acidity - below 0.61 g/L as acetic acid (0.5 g/L as sulfuric acid)"

How do I increase the pH? Or what yeast will tolerate 3.25?

Oskaar
11-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Raise that pH by adding some Potassium or Calcium Carbonate. They both have their pros and cons, biggest con for calcium carbonate is that it will adversely affect the flavor of your mead/wine. Just make sure it stays in the 3.25 and above range and most wine yeasts will be fine. I've seen K1V chug through a pH crash as low as 2.8, but then K1V is a beast!

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento
11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
K1V is what's stuck. I used it because it has that reputation. :)

So then, how do I calculate the amount of potassium carbonate?

Oskaar
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Ya know,

I'm not convinced that this is pH related, especially with K1V. Do you have access to another hydrometer for your gravity reading? Once I'm down into the 1.070 and below range I switch to a narrow scale hydrometer. I find some pretty big differences between my normal triple scale hydrometers, and the narrow scale finishing hydrometer.

I've had several batches of mead and cyser that have gone down to 3.2 and 3.0 with K1V and not had a stall. So I'm still not certain that's the case, but, here's a link to B3's website with a product description of K-Carbonate:

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15555

I'd check that gravity reading again with a more narrow band hydrometer, and then if it's still in that range it's more than likely the pH. Also did you follow a nutrient dosing schedule? I noticed you only added energizer which is generally only half of the nutrient/energizer equation as far as nutrient balance.

Lemme know,

Oskaar

memento
11-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a split range set of 2 calibrated "narrow band" hydrometers that cover the full range. :) I bought these because I absolutely couldn't trust my generic $6 one. They split at 1.070, so I've been using all 3 to measure SG. I figure the split point is the weakest measurement. Then the cheapo is used to semi-validate the measurement. I'm confident in the measurement. Plus it tastes too sweet.

I did not follow a nutrient dosing schedule. I was confused enough with this batch, having underestimated the OG in the first place. I do have fermaid or fermax. Should I add that? And how much? I'll have to check and see exactly which it is when I get home. My energizer was DAP and hulls.

I see from b3 that they explain how much to add. I'm good there (if that is the real problem).

Oskaar
11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Well,

I'd go ahead then and get the K carbonate and move forward. Figure out what the right dosage is and follow the instructions for use to see if it makes a difference. Either that or just let this one sit where it is, and then make a dry batch as described below and blend them.

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento
11-21-2005, 09:54 PM
thanks Oskaar! I'm ordering the k-carb tonight. Plus it's an excuse to get more brewing stuff! (I can't place an order for ONLY that). :)

Brewbear
11-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I had a *problem child* and I used The pH strips to get an idea where the pH was. K-carb did the trick, the sucker started bubling again, tho not as strongly as before.

Cheers,
Ted

memento
11-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Let's hope this works. I really don't need it to kick into high gear, even a slow roll is good. I only want another 0.030 SG. I also realized that I didn't check my pH meter against water. It was reading high. My tap water was like 7.3. This is from my well. So I think it my cyser may be closer to 3 than 3.25. I'll have to do a calibration on my meter. Still the pH is even lower than I thought.

Thankfully b3 has free shipping for orders over $59. So I had to place an order over that to save $10 on shipping! some more yeast. My first mead book (compleat meadmaker). sanitizer.

memento
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
My calibrated pH meter now gives 3.70. I believe this to be very correct.

Tonight I rehydrated the pro-restart and inserted it into my cyser. By tomorrow I should know if it is working.

The pro-restart is interesting. It smells like yeasty beer and is little beads. They stay as little beads. I'll post a picture I took of it before it was rehydrated.

Oskaar
12-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Remember you'll need to agitate that baggie of the beaded yeasties a few times a day in order for them to perform to spec.

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento
12-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I checked it this morning (and agitated). First I was dissapointed that there was no airlock activity, but then remembered that there were strings sticking out of the carboy from the bag, so I took a close look and say quite active bubbling on the surface of the cyser. The pro restart is definitely fermenting! I'm very happy but also a bit concerned because there is not much surface area covered by the yeast in the bag. The bubbling was localized to where the bag is. I guess patience is the work from here on out. I'll agitate several times a day and keep it within a nice temp range.

memento
12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Still going - very slowly. There isn't a lot of surface area for fermentation. That would be a big disadvantage of using the pro-restart. Regular yeasts premeate through the whole must, these are limited to whatever must is within reach of the bag. I have to keep moving it to allow it access to new must and shaking it because it gets a lot of bubbles trapped. But to it's credit, it is still fermenting.

memento
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
ok. it's only at 1.070. screw this. I'm going to make a dry cyser and water it down.

memento
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I made a dry cyser. 12% ABV @ 0.997 SG. Mixed the 2 to taste and the resulting SG is 1.03 or so (going by memory right now). But I tasted it yesterday and so far it's awesome! This will probably be my favorite. I saved a little bit of the 1.07 for my mother because she liked it THAT sweet and I saved a little of the 0.997 for a friend who like it that dry. Now I have probably close to 7 gallons of great cyser. :D And with a fitting label made by JAG (of course):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/jag2005/BMlabel.jpg

exmoor_cat
04-18-2006, 01:18 PM
um, my last batch was a 5 gallon spiced cyser and clocked 1.210 OG at the start - the person it's for has a very sweet tooth. It's now about 1.045 and stopped brewing so I've now decanted it into the demijohns. It is very sweet and has a warm alcoholic flavour. Kinda reminiscent of sherry. My main concern is that it is still opaque. how long does it take for a cyser to settle long enough to start clarifying??

memento
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I'm quite happy to see that yours fermented with that starting SG!

Mine is clear now, so it's been a couple of months. There are a lot of factors in clarifying. I wouldn't base anything off my batch! How do you think it got it's name? But for me it usually takes a couple months to clear. I use minimal additives.