PDA

View Full Version : Oxygenation/Aeration

jrigal
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Another question... yeah I know, so many questions. I set up the beginning of a blueberry melomel in the primary. I pitched the yeast and stirred and aerated like crazy. I then sealed and airlocked it. That was two days ago and I did not/have not aerated since. The airlock is bubbling every two to three seconds. I just read the Rules of Thumb post and saw that it is suggested to oxygenate for the first three days.

Should I have done this? Should I do this now? I was afraid to open the lid because I did not want to accidently contaminate the must.

Dmntd
10-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes you can do this now. If your using a bucket for primary, you can remove the lid and aerate using a sanitized whisk or spoon. If the must is in a carboy or jug, you can remove the bung and stir with a sanitized spoon, or you can agitate the must by rock/shake the carboy to aerate.

The more oxygen you get into the must during the first days of fermentation the better the yeast will propagate, larger yaest colony means better/faster fermentation.

Anthony

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Beware.... if you agitate too much, you will end up with a frothing mess!!!

(see Confectioner's Blueberry Wine log)