View Full Version : Racking Question

10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Okay, so I am at the racking stage of my 4 week cyser and I just racked for the first time (ever). I can tell this is going to take practice.
I racked from a one gallon to another one gallon with a racking cane. Just as I was almost finished (there's about two inches left in the old one), I slipped and disturbed the lees. I would still like to finish racking. So I put the first jug back in the fridge to finish later and installed the airlock on the new. I want to rack the rest when it settles, is this okay to do?

10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
I can't see any reason letting it settle, then racking the ballance would be a problem.

You did cap the jug in the 'fridge, right?

10-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah, right now there's a clean towel strapped over the mouth. I'm sanitizing a lid right now.

10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm about ready to bottle my Ancient Orange. How do I keep the loose stuff (parts of Orange, spices etc.) from getting through the racking tube?

All the best,
Doug W.
Garner, NC

10-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I've used this - http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/Surescreen.jpg - with good results.

10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
That'll work, but if you can't get to your brew store or don't want to order on line,
do what my family does, and get one of those stainless steel scrubbies, the kind with no soap, and rubberband it to the end of your cane... that'll keep the large bits getting to your cane.