PDA

View Full Version : Infection

jrigal
10-12-2005, 06:00 AM
What are the signs of infection? I hear a lot about this, but don't know what I'm looking for.

This is really of interest now, because, as I am new to this, I found I made a mistake. I racked my 4 week cyser, starting by mouth. I've been doing some reading through posts and trying to learn, and I found that this could cause infection. I know, I should have known, especially with the strict rigorous sterilization I've been doing. I was told to do it this way from some ole timer winemakers. Now I know better.

So, what kind of symptoms should I be keeping a watch for?

storm1969
10-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Unless you have a real bad infection in your mouth (and even then) the bacteria will not be able to live in an enviroment with alchol.

A commercial winemaker friend of mine starts his smaller rackings like this all the time (and has never had a problem). I also have never had a problem with it.

Brian

mead_monkey
10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
My last (and first) batch got infected and had white-ish circular blobs growing on top.

The infection could have been caused by other things, but im suspicious of the fact that i started my syphon tube with my mouth.

I'm no expert though
Take my story with a grain of salt and a drop of mead. ;)

Digital

Dmntd
10-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Here's a link that covers some of the troubles run into with wine - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp -

Anthony

JoeM
10-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Although i'm sure there are plenty of people who syphon by mouth and have never had a problem, i would still suggest against it. Its easy enough to fill your racking cane with water to start the syphon with and you know you arent introducing unwanted elements.

intothefray
10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I took previous advise from the forum and purchased and autosyphon.

Angus
10-13-2005, 08:22 AM
As did I, and believe me when I say that it is the easiest way I have ever found to start the siphoning.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-29272267232710_1859_71078

CheshireCat
10-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Here's a link that covers some of the troubles run into with wine - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp -

Anthony

That's some good info there. Bookmarked! Although I was taken back a bit when I read "destroy the batch." in the Rotten Egg Smell part.

Destroy? Mead? Blasphemous! But I guess sometimes it can't be avoided, eh? :'( Although I'd prefer to let the thing sit in the closet forever than dump it...

Rusty_Bucket
10-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah...I just had to pour an entire batch of Apple mead down the drain because of the Rotten Egg Smell. I feel that I can safely say, among you men and women who will, no doubt understand, that I did....weep :'(

So to make up for it I started 3 new batches ;D

Freedom Foundry
10-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah...I just had to pour an entire batch of Apple mead down the drain because of the Rotten Egg Smell. I feel that I can safely say, among you men and women who will, no doubt understand, that I did....weep :'(

So to make up for it I started 3 new batches ;D

You might as well age any batch, it's bound to improve. A friend made a canteloupe liquor (he called it that although it was just high-alcohol, not distilled) that smelled like rotten eggs. He stuck it in the cellar for a year, and it became something else. It's not perfect, and there were still slight off-flavors, but I found it a good drink.