• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

here we go again...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
This eau de vie must is the never ending mead.

A question:

I have not re-pitched yeast yet. I get very slow fermentation, that will pick up rapidly if I shake the carboy (my roomate has a CO2 gun, and I topped up the bucket with a good cloud of it before I added honey or stirred to stay on the safe side) is there anything I can do to wake up my yeast a little more? I did add nutriant at one point before to keep my fermentation from tuckering out, but I'm afriad of "urea-izing" my must.

Suggestions??

~Wolfie

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
By shaking it you're probably just degassing it (why you'll see bubbles). Then it'll take awhile to get bubbles again because the must can absorb a certain amount of CO2.

Any idea what your current SG is?

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Hey fray,

Sorry, for some reason the notification did not show up when you re-posted.

Funny, I kind of fixed the problem, then it returned:

I added by increment another gallon of honey.
That wouldve brought the toatal gravity to 1.161 or so.

It picked up to more normal speeds (1 every 2-3 seconds) and slowed down again as we pulled up on haloween.
Right now it's going at 1 ever 30 seconds, but the must is still at 1.050, waaaay to sweet.

with eau de vie, if it gets near proof I should be between 1.020 and 1.010
Again I'm not sure of the best way to wake it back up and get it to finish.

Advice? ???

~Wolfie

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns