PDA

View Full Version : Must we keep our mead in the dark?

MacLupine
10-15-2005, 08:17 PM
What adverse effects does light have on mead while fermenting?
I did a search on "Effects of Light" and heh... the results were not what I wanted.

Oskaar
10-16-2005, 04:33 AM
This thread started on UV sanitization but there is good information about the effect of UV light on aging mead.

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=1443.msg11341#msg11341

Cheers,

Oskaar

mead_monkey
10-16-2005, 09:29 AM
*(throws blanket over carboy)*

oops!! :o

JamesP
10-16-2005, 06:01 PM
For beer, light causes off-flavours (I'm no beer expert). IIRC, it is related to the hops, so maybe you would need to be extra careful with a braggot.

I ferment in PETE, which is clear. I keep the carboys out of direct sunlight (except when I sit it in the sun to warm the yeasties up in winter). But they sit in a room where they receive light indirectly (ie, it's not in a dark cellar with only artificial lighting).

I wouldn't lose sleep over it during fermentation. Avoid sunlight (direct) if possible during aging.

YMMV

byathread
10-24-2005, 05:01 PM
The problem with "light struck" beer is that sunlight and florescent lighting (to a lesser extent) react with the oils in hops to turn the aroma/flavor skunky. I have tasted homebrews affected thusly and it is both noticable and unpleasant. :o
I'm less clear on how it affects wines/meads, but my view is that since it is not necessary and may be detrimental, avoid it at all costs! :)

Freedom Foundry
10-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I ferment in PETE, which is clear. I keep the carboys out of direct sunlight (except when I sit it in the sun to warm the yeasties up in winter).

YMMV

Have you tried covering your carboy with a black blanket in the sunlight? That might warm it up without danger of skunking.

JamesP
10-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I leave them in the sun for less than 30 mins, and I haven't noticed significant effects. But I should cover them ::) - I just never think of it.

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I cut a small 2 inch slot in the center of the bottom of a large black plastic trash bag and slide it upside down over the carboy. The slot fits over the trap and neck of the carboy. While it doesn't insulate the batch from higher or lower temps, it is a cheap way to provide darkness and protection from the damaging effects of light...