PDA

View Full Version : How'd de do dat

Drone1973
10-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I have made many sparkling meads, safely and without having bottles explode or corks pop out in my face. I don't use champagne bottles and I started wiring my corks to keep them down.

I do this by bottling when the ferment has slowed but is not completely finished.(usually around the third rack) The problem I get is that this leaves a significant amount of sediment on the bottoms of the bottles.
I would love to be able to eliminate the sediment and still have sparkling mead. Will it help to prime after the wine clears? And how exactly do I do this safely? Any suggestions?

Chris

Oskaar
10-17-2005, 12:49 AM
You're tempting fate by not using bottles designed for sparkling wine, especially if you plan to prime. Experiment all you want but make sure to be very careful and wear eye protection when you're working with that stuff.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
10-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Agreed. Exploding bottles have been known to drive glass shards into drywall.

jaysbrew
10-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Yes, bottle in beer or champagne bottles. As for the sediment, it ain't a simple thing to get rid of it. Here's a good link about riddling and disgorgement:

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/sparkling.htm

Cheers,
Jay

byathread
10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Indeed. It seems the only way to exclude sediment is via the Methode Traditionale or force carbonating in kegs.
FYI, if you do try riddling/disgorgement I recently read a great tip (though I can't find the link). They suggest you bottle 6-10 "dummy" bottles using water with 1 t (or was it 1 T?) sugar and some fresh yeast. This way you can have some bottles to experiment with (without risking your valuable mead) while you practice your technique.

Good luck,
Kirk