PDA

View Full Version : Coriander

jrigal
10-19-2005, 06:23 AM
I just started my first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange. After finishing, I read through the numerous posts on this recipe. This got me to thinking about different spices. I'm not a big fan of spiced mead, but the vanilla/orange combination sounds good. And, being a fan of Belgian witbier, the combination of coriander with the orange is obvious. My question is how much coriander per gallon to flavor a mead? I know this is partly personal preference, but could somebody get me in the ballpark?

P.S. In teaspoons please (I get confused when using ounces, are we talking about volume or weight?)

andrew_buhl
10-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Ive used coriander and ginger together with other spices and I usually find that a moderate hand full lends a nice undertone. I wouldn't use more than a large handfull.

Salut, Andrew

Mynx
10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
If you're lucky enough to have hands as big as Andrew's :P

For coriander I've heard it can be pretty overpowering. Try 1/2 a tsp and let it sit. If it needs more you can add more.

jrigal
10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I have whole seeds. Should they be toasted? Crushed?

andrew_buhl
10-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Cracked is best as opposed to crushed, porwdered or whole. :)

jrigal
10-21-2005, 06:58 PM
So, now I'm thinking 1/2 tsp cracked coriander seeds, not toasted, per gallon. That's a big difference when comparing to cloves, which are one or two whole cloves per gallon. Is 1/2 teaspoon seeds too much?

byathread
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't think 1/2 t per gallon will be too much, but best to play it on the safe side and put them in a spice bag. This way you can check the flavor every week or so.