PDA

View Full Version : Too much yeast?

mouko_yamamoto
10-30-2005, 10:23 AM
So, I've been reading around, and just made my second batch yesterday (Ancient Orange). With that one I followed the recipe almost key, but my first (not Ancient Orange) batch I threw a whole bunch of stuff together. With that, I threw in a lot of (bread) yeast, but the amount doesn't matter right? Won't it quit converting the sugar as soon as it reaches its alcohol tolerance?

Angus
10-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Hello Muoko,

Yes, once the alcohol reaches the level that the yeast can tolerate, they will stop converting sugar unless you do some additional feeding of nutrients and honey, in stages, to keep them working and making alcohol. Can this be done with bread yeast? I don't know, but I think this yeast is a fairly delicate since it has such a low alcohol tolerance and probably won't take to being pushed much higher than a 14%. Perhaps one of the experienced brewers can chime in on any attempts they have made.

This is a great topic to read on amounts of yeast to add:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=2808.0

Angus

P.S. Are you from Japan? If yes, where did you live?

mouko_yamamoto
10-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Heh, no I'm not from Japan, but I adopted this name is a Japanese class I took in 9th grade. I did spend the summer in China though, so if you've ever been there... (I was also supposed to visit Japan later in the year, but plans have a way of comng undone. *angry*)