PDA

View Full Version : Ok time to up the yield

Drone1973
10-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey folks, Just ot let you know the orange bossom methyglin turned out great. I can harldy wait to the second batch to clear. But I want to experiment with uping the EtOH content. My plan is to harden the mead. I wanted to see if I understand the process and get a few pointers if you don't mind. First I will start with a finished mead with a good kick. ( I really nead to get an SG hydrometer my proof hydro just isn't cutting the mustard) then place the caboy out in the winter air for around three hours.. Enough to get a good slush but not freeze over. Then use a racking cane to separate the liquid alcohol from the solid water Ice into a new carboy then bottle immediately.

Does this sound right? Any pointers?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Angus
10-30-2005, 09:27 PM
I have got to get me some of that :o :o :o. What size cup do you drink it from? C, D, DD ;D ;D

Angus

lostnbronx
10-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Drone,

This sounds fun! Just a couple of words of caution...

Watch that carboy (I'm assuming it's glass) when you put it out in the cold. Ice expands when it freezes, as we all know, and can easily split armored casings, let alone glass.

Careful how you imbibe this stuff -- "jack" hangovers are the stuff of legend. You're concentrating the fusels and other impurities as well as the ethanol (distillation by heating separates them out), and these can contribute to horrendous morning-afters.

Please keep us informed. I'd love to hear how this turns out.

-David

Mynx
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
The lady who runs the local mead group (www.meadworks.ca (http://www.meadworks.ca)) froze her peach mel and it was AMAZING! I may try the same with my blackberry on some of it.

beeboy
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Saw somewhere a little "concentrator" for wine that was popular in France back in the 1800's. You would put the wine in a container, heat it and catch the essence of the wine in a small glass. Humm sounds interesting, wonder how it works? ;)

Brewbear
11-02-2005, 02:08 AM
I may be wrong, but that's quite illegal in the U.S. I can tell you that i accidentally forgot a bottle of Ancient Orange in the freezer overnight. The liquid left over was strong enough to curl-up your toenails :-X and not something I am likely to repeat, that however is my opinion, YMMV.

beeboy - that is a simple distillation aparatus a.k.a. a pot still and very illegal unless you have the proper permits. Generally they were made of copper and you had to discard the first 500 ml or so (contained methanol and copper oxides) and the stuff after that was ethanol.

Ted

beeboy
12-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I know what the "concentrator" is and how it works, just didn't want to use the "S" word on the board, seems it is frowned upon. I have to assume that the ATF checks all the home brewing sites on a regular basis for activity that might give them a lead. I was over at the LHBS and mentioned the "S" word, almost got thrown out, go figure, it's not against the law to talk about it yet is it?. Of course if you talk about it then it could be consitered a conspiracyto commit a crime. Just what the government needs, a conspiracy to make a couple of gallons of "fortified" mead.