• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Thirsty Traveler Make it Mead episode

Barrel Char Wood Products

Reginleif

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
Anyone else see it?

I did, and although it was fun, it was full of innnacuracies - Hippocras is NOT mead, for example, and very light on actual mead making information.

I sent feedback too: feedback@thirstytraveler.tv

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
I did catch that one. Glad to see an episode on mead, but I would have liked to see more on the process of making it - I was hoping to pick up some pointers.

How can I get that job?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
hart1a.jpg[img]

I also took a look at the recipe for Pork Fillet in Mead (below). Does anyone know why the pork is marinated for such a short time (enough time to mix the bread crumbs and the nuts)?

Pork Fillet in Mead (Drunken Pig)
The Thirsty Traveler : Episode FLTHR-404 -- More Projects »

Ingredients:

1 large fillet of pork (pork tenderloin)
mead or mead wine
high-quality salted butter
honey
breadcrumbs
crushed hazelnuts
crushed walnuts

Instructions:

Use a seax, or knife, with a fine blade to slice pork into pieces as fat as your lip.

Soak pork rounds in mead for as long as it takes to crush the nuts and make dry bread into crumbs — enough of each so that a combination will coat all the pork pieces.

Mix breadcrumbs and crushed nuts together until the mixture tastes strongly of the nuts.

Place honey in a flat bowl, covering it closely against flies.

Drain pork pieces and spread each with honey and then quickly press it into the mix of bread crumbs and finely broken nuts.

Let pork pieces rest while you warm a griddle over a hot stove or charcoal grill.
Fry pork quietly in melted butter until cooked through but be careful not to burn the meat, which is easy to do when it's coated with honey.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Dan,

Just a guess, but it seems like the mead flavor is supposed to be concentrated in the breading, and not in the meat. Like most things in cooking (and mead for that matter), this is just a matter of taste. Back when I ate meat (and I ate a lot of it!), I actually never cared for the flavor of wine in mine. My marinades drifted towards soy and terriaki sauces as a base, and I've continued that to this day with vegetarian cooking.

-David

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Dan McFeeley said:
Fry pork quietly in melted butter

Is that supposed to be quickly? Because Quietly just wont due... If I'm cooking a meal like that chances are I'll have the soundtrack for "The Last Temptation of Christ" playing... for reasons which will become clear later in the evening when Ravel's "Bolero" may have to compete to be heard. ;)

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup,

Murdered swine, a bottle (or three) of mead and some Peter Gabriel is a good combination. I also like NIN (Downward Spiral) for dessert!

Cheers,

Oskaar

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
This show was just on the past Friday and Saturday, but I missed it. So it may be on again in the next week or two.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns