PDA

View Full Version : Rome on HBO

Oskaar
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Is anyone else watching the new HBO series Rome?

Great stuff for us history buffs. Although they are not following history exactly, they're doing a great job of presenting Rome and Roman life in the times of Julius Caesar in a realistic manner. It's gritty, grimy, wildly colorful and chock full of violence, sex, political intrique and the decadence that made Rome such an interesting place.

Cheers,

Oskaar

abejita
11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I love the graffiti. Seriously, that is what made me say, "This show is awesome."

Also, Cleopatra was amazingly hot.

webmaster
11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
On the 'record' on the TIVO. *Love* the show. Can't wait to see the b*tch get her comuppance....

I finished McCullough's 'First Man in Rome' series just before this aired, and would you know, it finished just as Caesar was coming up the ranks.....it was weird to know so much about the previous history watching this show......

Oskaar
11-01-2005, 10:24 PM
The graffiti is awesome. If you've ever been to Herculaneum or Pompeii some of the buildings are covered with dipinti (painted on) and graffiti (scratched in) and it runs the gamut from gladiatorial games to curses, poetry, erotica, lists and a ton more stuff. There's one portion of Herculaneum on a street where one of the government offices has a tunnel that runs under the street to the brothel across the street. Great stuff!!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
11-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Did you tape it? I don't have HBO, my free time is spent between brewing, reading about brewing, this forum and really exciting molecular gene *yawn*tics *yawn* books. Some of the articles i read are really boring exciting I mean :'(
I don't have much time for TV and *the boss* didn't care for HBO.
Ted

webmaster
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I could drop it onto a tape from the TIVO, but really, you want to watch it from the beginning, it's a soap opera style 'what is happening this week' show. Miss one, and you're going 'when the heck did that happen?'.....

I suspect that the rental places will have the 1st season on DVD before very long.....

Brewbear
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Vicky,
The questios is where do I go first, considering the time constraint, LHBS, Miller's Honey, or video store :-[
I'll wait for amazon to sell it!

Ted